Question GPU not detected on brand new build

Nov 5, 2020
I have built 3 computers in the last week and the last one is having issues.
2 of the computers have identical parts except for the cases.
The other computer was my son's who had some parts the same and some a little different than the ones we had

1st computer (my husbands) built absolutely no issues running beautifully. Parts are:
Case: DeepCool Matrexx 55 Mesh RGB 4f
Mobo: Aus Tuf Gaming Z490 plus (with wifi)
GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB DUAL EVO OC Video Card
CPU: Intel Core i7 10700k 38ghz 10th Gen
Liquid Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid RGB ML240L
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage1: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage2: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

(note now running Corsair Vengeance RGB Rams as they didn't fit in the 2nd computer case with the liquid cooler)

2nd computer (my sons) built running beautifully. Parts are
Case: Corsair SPEC-OMEGA RGB
Mobo: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING ATX LGA1200
GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB DUAL EVO OC Video Card
Liquid Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage1: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

So come to the third computer (my computer), it's exactly the same as my husband's originally (with the plain rams) except it s in a Gamdias Athena M1 case

After I powered it up for the first time with no peripherals connected the motherboard beeped one long beep and 3 short beeps meaning no vga detected, the white light on the q-led's stays lit up as does the boot (green one).

Steps I have taken to narrow down the motherboard as the problem.

1. I have tried putting the gpu into the 2nd pci slot, same issue. SO I was thinking ok it's the gpu.
  2. Took the gpu out of mine and put it into my husbands (with the same parts) – no issues. OK so not the gpu.
  3. Took the gpu out of my husbands computer and put it into my computer (one having issues) – vga not detected.
  4. Tried the 2nd pci slot with my husbands gpu – same issue. So now I'm thinking it's the power supply.
  5. Took the gpu out and unplugged the cord to the psu for it – same issue.
  6. Took the psu out of my husband's computer and used on my computer, plugged the gpu all back in – same issue. So it's not the power supply.
  7. Hooked up a monitor to use the onboard graphics instead to try to see what's happening, nothing. Same issue.
  8. Took the battery out put the battery back in – same issue.
  9. Took the cpu out and put it back in – same issue.
  10. Took the Rams out and reseated them - same issue.
  11. Removed every plug and rechecked it as I plugged it all back in – same issue.
  12. Removed motherboard from case (to isolate any case issue), connected everything up (rechecking cords as I went). Connected gpu - same issue.
  13. With motherboard still removed from case took off gpu and tried to use onboard graphics, nothing - same issue.

I have taken 3 videos you can see them here

View: https://youtu.be/sq6w571oaUc

View: https://youtu.be/n5vndWDZSOw

View: https://youtu.be/AdHz4taW-jU

Am I right to think the motherboard is faulty?

Thank you for any help/advice.

Nov 5, 2020
Aus Tuf Gaming Z490 plus (wifi) has AMI BIOS.
1 long, 3 short - Conventional/Extended memory failure.

Check cpu socket for bent pins.
Reset BIOS settings.
Try with single ram module, try it in all ram slots.

Thanks for your help, according to the asus video C. VGA LED light is always ON after power on(indicates no Graphics Card or Graphics Card faulty) however the same graphics card that my motherboard won't recognise is now in my husband's computer working. The only thing I did not do is exchange cpus between the two computers...guess I will have to rebuild mine again (I got upset and packed every part back away in its box lol) I did check my cpu for bent pins and couldn't see anything astray but will have another look.

I don't see how I can reset the bios settings when I can't see anything on screen to help me do that?

I will also try the single ram in all different spots.

I appreciate the help and suggestions thank you.

I did check my cpu for bent pins and couldn't see anything astray but will have another look.
Not cpu itself. You have to check cpu socket on motherboard.

I don't see how I can reset the bios settings when I can't see anything on screen to help me do that?
With onboard jumper. Read motherboard manual, how to do that.
Manual page 1-18 (Clear CMOS header).

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020
Ok now I have a disaster on my hands.
I did the following things.

Photographed every piece as I put it back on the motherboard. Same issue as after putting in only the cpu, liquid cooler, 1 stick of ram, and panel connections. Started it up same issue no vga detected (white led and also green led on).
Put the gpu in, same issue.
Swapped the ram stick to each dimm, it didn't like 1 stick being in the 3rd slot but same issue in all other slots.

Got to thinking I would swap my husbands cpu just to check and make sure, so I did that. Took my husband's cpu out and put it in my motherboard, SAME ISSUE. Put the cpu back in his computer......

BUT NOW MY HUSBANDS COMPUTER IS HAVING THE SAME ISSUE! I reset the cmos (took battery out and shorted out the connection)

Now what? I now have two brand new builds that are having the same issue. I could just cry.