[SOLVED] Gpu not detected through risers?

Mar 30, 2022
Hi, I have an issue that is really stumping me. I have a MSI B450 -A pro max motherboard and for some reason I cannot get a graphics card to work with it through a riser. If I plug the graphics card directly into the motherboard, I get display and everything works fine. If I use a riser, the card lights up and the fans spin but the motherboard doesn't detect it. I've tried with 3 different graphics cards and 2 different brands of known working risers to rule that out. Is it perhaps a bios setting blocking the motherboard from using a graphics card when it's using a riser?

Solution
Try booting into BIOS with the card in the PCIe slot and set the default PCIEX16 Mode to Gen3 within the BIOS. Shutdown and install the riser cable to see if that fixes the issue. This seems to be a very common tip to resolve this issue.

tecmo34

Administrator
Try booting into BIOS with the card in the PCIe slot and set the default PCIEX16 Mode to Gen3 within the BIOS. Shutdown and install the riser cable to see if that fixes the issue. This seems to be a very common tip to resolve this issue.

Solution