GPU not detected

Nov 30, 2018
I just finished building a new computer, and after installing windows, I noticed that in device manager, my GPU isn't detected, and whenever I try to download a driver, my GPU crashes

Nov 30, 2018

My GPU is an MSI Radeon RX 580 armor mk2 oc I think, and the monitor cable is plugged into my GPU. I also do not have integrated graphics

OK. When you say you don't see it in device manager, I take it you're seeing a "Microsoft Basic display adapter," and when you try to install the proper AMD driver there is a serious error of some sort. I also take it when the PC recovers the driver is reverted back to Microsoft's generic driver.

Just to make sure, are you certain you are running the correct installer for the driver?

Unfortunately any benchmarking tool or utility we might use to try to determine the health of the card won't run without a proper driver. Also I can think of few ways to troubleshoot the possibility of an error in Windows without a reinstall, whether by using the Reset function in Settings or using the install disk again.

Nov 30, 2018

For the most part, what you are saying is what is happening to me, but it seems that my computer doesn't recover, and my GPU ends up crashing on boot as well. I can get it to work again for someone reason using system restore. I'm pretty sure that the driver I'm installing is correct, I went on to AMD's website and looked for the drivers for an RX 580. Is my GPU broken?