GPU not displaying after Windows splash screen

Kolimo

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
Dear lovely people of earth,

I have a setup which I built apx 4 years ago, a week ago I turned on my computer and encountered an issue which I have tried to thoroughly to solve, but here it goes.

My issue is that my computer has no display at all with the graphics card plugged in. Initially, I started my PC and my motherboard gave me an A2 Q-code which apparently led to an IDE connection issue. Troubleshooting through removing components had led me to find out that the graphics card would be causing this issue.

what I tried I remove the graphics card, reset the CMOS and enabled Integrated graphics in my BIOS, I then go into safe mode; the device is shown in the device manager, followed by the driver that was installed in July (3 months ago). I deleted the driver, and tried updating it however AMD's driver updater doesn't allow this and gives me an error about digital signatures? Using AMD's "solution" of booting without having the digital signatures authorised by Windows. I did not get past the Windows splash screen. Repeated the device manager process in safe mode, and the driver re-appears. Possibly the driver may be causing this?
(No system restore available)

The GPU has been reseated throughout, and the power connectors were also re-connected several times.

The GPU uses DVI-D, and after the splash screen the monitor goes into power saving mode.
Also the motherboard no longer displays the A2 Q-Code, only AE and A0 which I understand means the computer is functioning. Weird?

What I think the issue may be This is the final straw for me, I have contacted AMD in regards to the driver. But if this won't solve the problem then I think that the GPU, or motherboard may be faulty.

Below are my specifications, I would like some new insight on this as I've checked other forums but I have had no luck. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

CPU: i5 4670K (Corsair H80i Heatsink)
GPU: MSI 7970 Lightning
Motherboard: Asus Maximum VI Hero
Case: HAF 932 Advanced
RAM: Corsair 2x4GB 2133Mhz DDR3
PSU: Corsair AX860i
120GB SSD
1TB HDD
2TB HDD
ASUS CD player

Kolimo

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013

Dear Mr motherboard,

I have just tried both DVI ports, but nothing is displaying.

Thank you for replying

Kolimo

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
Ultimately, I am wondering why my computer doesn't go past the Windows splash screen with integrated graphics. Could it be a power issue? If so I've never had one with my PC in 4 years, or could it be a different reason? A solution to this may be able to get me where I want to be

Kolimo

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
I disabled the GPU within device manager in safe mode, and I am now able to boot into the OS normally. I tried updating the driver, but my computer froze. This happens within a few minutes of going into my account on Windows. The last freeze allowed me to move my cursor, and had the loading circle when I pressed CTRL+ALT+DEL before freezing within a few seconds.

Kolimo

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
I have successfully updated the driver, however my computer still freezes. I selected PCI-E for graphics in the BIOS, however nothing is being displayed. I believe the GPU is faulty, but I won't confirm this until I fit a new GPU or test the one I have.