[SOLVED] GPU not displaying and USB ports not outputting enough

Nov 5, 2020
Recently my graphics card suddenly stopped displaying to my monitors while the PC was on, I tried the card in another build and it didn't work either, so I ordered a new card.

The new card arrived and I tried it, still no output, tried it in another build, output works completely as expected.

When I turn the PC on, all fans spin (even on graphics card) and all LEDs turn on, except on my mouse and keyboard which are connected to the mobo USB ports, my mouse blinks for half a second on power up but then only kees the sensor light, no LEDs (it has LEDs when plugged into another machine) and my keyboard has nothing. My mic (Elgato Wave 1) has it's mute button LED on, but the button LED does not turn red when clicked to indicate it is muted.

I also found some greasy substance right beside my motherboard heat sink, not sure if it relates.
I have tried seperate cables, mice, keyboards, monitors... all results are the exact same, I have also tried to start the PC without the GPU inside, USB ports still have the same issue.

Specs:
Old GPU - RX 470
New GPU - RTX 2060
CPU - AMD FX 6300
PSU - Cooler Master 550
Motherboard - MSI 970 Gaming

Solution
Any way to install and test another known working 550+ PSU?

My thought is that the existing PSU has reached its' designed EOL (End of Life).

After having replaced my GPU and PSU, I have come to the unfortunate conclusion that my motherboard has to have broken and taken my GPU down with it somehow...

Thanks for the help and hasty replies anyways!
Nov 5, 2020
How old is that PSU?

Heavy wattage use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Number of USB devices: what devices?

PSU is 5-6 years old now.

The PC is used heavily for gaming, there are 2 SSDs connected. (Capacity percentages are estimates, has been a few days since I have been able to turn it on and see)
  • (50%, contains OS) Kingston A400 240GB
  • (80%) KingDian S80 240GB
There are no HDDs connected.

There are 3 USB devices connected
  • Microphone (Elgato Wave 1)
  • Keyboard (STOGA Mechnical Keyboard)
  • Wireless mouse receiver (Logitech G305)

Nov 5, 2020

My thought is that the existing PSU has reached its' designed EOL (End of Life).

Could a PSU breaking kill my GPU? (since the old GPU didn't display in the other build after either after it stopped displaying in mine)

And unfortunately I don't have any spare PSUs available that I can install in the faulty build, I would have to order one.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020

After having replaced my GPU and PSU, I have come to the unfortunate conclusion that my motherboard has to have broken and taken my GPU down with it somehow...

Thanks for the help and hasty replies anyways!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS