[SOLVED] GPU not found

Jun 7, 2020
I have installed a geforce gt 710 on a H-I41-uATX mobo. I'm hoping I didnt overestimate the mobo, but it won't recognize the card. Checked hidden hardware in device manager, nothing. Fans spin, and I've plenty of wattage on my psu (500W). None of the drivers I look for will install saying "not compatible with your version of windows"

Should I just say forget this and send back the gpu?

Solution
If I do that I get no image. Monitor

I did. But since theres no driver the monitor just goes to sleep like the computer doesnt know how to use the gpu.
Try doing a CMOS reset, unplug your PC from the wall and remove the motherboard battery for 10-15 minutes, then put it back in. This will reset your BIOS, which might be defaulting to integrated graphics right now.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Do you actually know this GPU works? It would only work when connected to the GPU and if Windows isn't able to run it with basic drivers, it means, more often than not, there's something wrong with the card (then the PCIE slot itself).

If I do that I get no image. Monitor

I did. But since theres no driver the monitor just goes to sleep like the computer doesnt know how to use the gpu.
Try doing a CMOS reset, unplug your PC from the wall and remove the motherboard battery for 10-15 minutes, then put it back in. This will reset your BIOS, which might be defaulting to integrated graphics right now.

Solution
Jun 7, 2020
Do you actually know this GPU works? It would only work when connected to the GPU and if Windows isn't able to run it with basic drivers, it means, more often than not, there's something wrong with the card (then the PCIE slot itself).
Brand new card, dont know about the slot. Are there ways to check it?

Jun 7, 2020
Won't I still need the driver? Even using geforce experience says theres no card installed. If I set the bios boot menu to intergrated I get picture using that port.

Jun 7, 2020
All GPUs are run initially in Windows without specific drivers; Windows has basic drivers that work with GPUs. If it's plugged into the motherboard, you won't be using the GPU, period.
Understood... I think.
So why no picture when bios is set to the pci and monitor is plugged in to the gpu?

Jun 7, 2020
That, of course, is the question, which is hard to answer without either a different GPU to try in the PCIE slot or a different PC to try the GPU in.
Thank you. Lets assume the card is fine, being brand new and having had precautions to avoid static damage. That only leaves the final option as far as I can tell. Cant get back into the case today but tomorrow I'll look into it further and let you know what I find.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thank you. Lets assume the card is fine, being brand new and having had precautions to avoid static damage. That only leaves the final option as far as I can tell. Cant get back into the case today but tomorrow I'll look into it further and let you know what I find.

DOA GPUs have been known to happen. I've had more than one over the years.

Yeah, it kinda sucks, but a lot of diagnosing PCs is simply swapping out parts. You would likely be able to get a local shop to look at it for free (testing the GPU and/or trying another basic GPU in the PC)

Jun 7, 2020
That, of course, is the question, which is hard to answer without either a different GPU to try in the PCIE slot or a different PC to try the GPU in.
Welp, resetting CMOS seemed to have worked. I booted up woth card inserted and monitor plugged in and everything worked fine. Feel free to close the topic. <3

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Welp, resetting CMOS seemed to have worked. I booted up woth card inserted and monitor plugged in and everything worked fine. Feel free to close the topic. <3

Always enjoy a happy ending! We tend to leave threads open just in case there's a continual issue. At least, until some random person responds to a 5-year-old thread that they have a vaguely similar problem.

Do click the trophy icon on the post that helped you the most, which should be Shektron's, I believe.