GPU Not Living Up To Standards

tempestatem

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016
I recently upgraded my GPU from a GT 730 to a GTX 1060 (6GB) and when it was first installed it worked really well.

Lately however, many games have been randomly freezing for a few seconds very annoyingly. Both games show me how much GPU ram i am using, and on max settings it is barely over the halfway point of how much it can take.

Im beginning to think that my drivers may not be updated, but im not sure where I can check. It seems they are all up to date, but a website called https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri says my drivers arent up to date when I let it scan my PC. Any ideas on what may be the issue?

(for reference my pc also has):
8GB ram
amd fx-6300 hexacore

tempestatem

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016
With my fan at 100 it stays at a solid 33°C (I have no idea how good or bad it is)
One of the games that causes the most issue is GTA V and a video showing a player with the exact same setup (CPU and GPU-wise) could run it on high graphics with 60FPS, while i can only run low graphics with 40-50 FPS with spikes of 5-15 FPS

I have the NVIDIA game ready program which tells me when to update my drivers, but I did check the website and it seems up to date.

"...was first installed it worked really well."

Did you do anything recently, like download mods or something? How about using MSI Afterburner to check CPU and GPU usage while you run a game? This sounds more like something to do with your CPU and not the videocard. What kind of power supply are you using?

tempestatem

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016

I don't download mods. I'll check my CPU and GPU usage next time I'm on but here's my PSU:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182323&cm_re=rosewill_photon-_-17-182-323-_-Product

tempestatem

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016

I apologize for the long wait, but I found my GPU and CPU usages:

GPU is around 1-25%
CPU is 85-100% (I assume that's bad)

What should I do now that I know this?

tempestatem

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016

It's jumping around from anywhere between 5% and 50%

I'm confused as to how this is bottle-necking though, I had thought it was a fairly decent CPU for games. I may just post a separate question on the CPU forum as the topic of my issue has changed from GPU to CPU.

FX-6300 is too weak to drive a 1060 to it's full potential. You should be experiencing stuttering though.

TRENDING THREADS