taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Hello! So i just experienced an anomaly and i thought that i might discuss it with you guys! Let's jump directly in!

So i just downgraded from Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB to Sapphire RX 570 4GB Single Fan. I was expecting some performance loss cause RX 580 8GB is a BEAST and performs way better than RX 570 4GB. Before downgrading, I ran a benchmark with RX 580 on Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands on Very High Preset on 1280x1024@60Hz resolution and i got EXACT 60FPS AVG... I sold my RX 580 and got back home with a RX 570 4GB. Placed it in. installed the latest drivers and again ran the benchmark with same graphics setting AND AGAIN I GOT 59.9FPS AVG!!!!

I spent a fortune getting a rx 580 and now i found out that i could get same performance from a rx 570 Mini! WTF !!! :(WHY????

MY RIG:
HP 1902 19" Inch LCD
Intel Xeon E3-1245 V3
1x8GB RAM 1600MHz
Asus B85M-E
500 GB Seagate HDD 7200RPM
RX 570 4GB/RX 580 8GB
Antec Basiq Power 550W (White in colour, not the black one, Just trying to tell the exact model :) )
Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 1809

Anything else needed? Ask freely! Thanks in advance! Just help me out my Brothers!

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
First off, it looks like you have Vsync enabled hence your FPS being almost exactly 60 (your refresh rate) all the time. Secondly, at that resolution either card is more than you need. Both of those cards are optimal for 1080p, which is ~50% more pixels than you have. You'd have to get a higher resolution monitor to really see the difference in performance.

Also, the performance difference is only like 10-15% between a 570 and 580 IIRC. The extra VRAM won't matter at lower resolutions.

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
First off, it looks like you have Vsync enabled hence your FPS being almost exactly 60 (your refresh rate) all the time. Secondly, at that resolution either card is more than you need. Both of those cards are optimal for 1080p, which is ~50% more pixels than you have. You'd have to get a higher resolution monitor to really see the difference in performance.

Also, the performance difference is only like 10-15% between a 570 and 580 IIRC. The extra VRAM won't matter at lower resolutions.
Firstly Vsync is off as i mentioned that i am getting 60fps avg not 60fps at max... LOL. fps go upto 70!

secondly, rx 580 still should be faster than rx 570. but in my case.. both performed exactly the same!

third, i dont care about the size of lcd... i am very happy at 19 inch. the reason behind is that i want to play games on ULTRA graphics.. thats why i keep a low end lcd... 1280x1024 is best for me because soon i will downgrade to rx 470 4gb..

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If you're CPU limited, as you may very well be at that resolution with those cards, that would explain why you don't see any difference.

Screen size has no effect on performance, only resolution. If you like your current monitor by all means keep it, I'm just saying that those cards are more than what you need for that resolution.

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
If you're CPU limited, as you may very well be at that resolution with those cards, that would explain why you don't see any difference.

Screen size has no effect on performance, only resolution. If you like your current monitor by all means keep it, I'm just saying that those cards are more than what you need for that resolution.

Q1) So you mean with Xeon E3-1245 V3, Rx 570 4GB and Rx 580 8GB are meant to be equal in performance while using on 1280x1024?

Q2) You said that RX 570 and RX 580 are overkill for 1280x1024@60Hz ULTRA 60FPS... So which GPU will be perfect? Please keep in mind that i want to play latest AAA titles on ULTRA SETTINGS at 60FPS. I am saying ULTRA, not MAXED.... I know that some settings like Anti-Aliasing has to be lowered down for FPS boost. Like turning it to 2xMSAA in GTA5 :)

Q3) I was thinking about the XFX RX 470 4GB Dual Fan With Backplate for ULTRA GRAPHICS on 1280x1024@60Hz and 60FPS+ on avg. Is this GPU enough? Not enough? Overkill?

Q4) My CPU neither bottlenecks RX 580 nor RX 570... So RX 580 should perform better than RX 570. Right?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I don't know for sure, but yes my guess is that you have a CPU bottleneck at that resolution with either of those cards. A couple ways to see if that's the case are:
  1. Check to see the highest CPU usage for across any individual core. If it's close to 100%, you're probably CPU bottlenecked.
  2. Try lowering resolution, if fps doesn't increase meaningfully, you're probably CPU bottlenecked.
That being said, if you are CPU limited it's not really a big deal given that you're still getting good FPS at or above your monitors refresh rate. Having a bottleneck isn't necessarily a bad thing, you're always going to have a bottleneck somewhere in your system depending on the game/settings.

Honestly I'd just stick with your 570, unless you can sell it for a decent amount more than it'd cost you to get a 470 or something. With the way prices are right now (at least in north america), all cards under a 570 offer far worse performance per dollar than the 570, at least for buying new cards.

Wendigo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
Ghost Recon Wildlands is a very CPU intensive game. FWIW, on my Ryzen 3 1200@3.6GHz (about the same power than the Xeon 1245) with a RX580, at 1080p Ultra, CPU usage is 80-100% and the GC usage often drops below 100% during the CPU usage spikes. So, at lower resolution, the CPU will definitely become what limit the FPS. Both card easily handling anything the CPU could push them at 1280x1024.

You'll have to run the game at least at 1920x1080 to see some differences appear between both cards. So, you can upgrade the monitor or you can try using Virtual Super resolution, although I've no idea how well it could works with GRW. But at least it would allow the graphic card the stretch its muscles!