Question GPU not recognised in laptop ?

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
I've got an MSI GL62 7RD, updated BIOS and Firmware but GPU still not recognised in Device Manager, no "unknown device", just the integrated GPU.
The laptop is quite old now so could be the GPU has broken? Hasn't worked in like 3 years. I've since got a desktop to for gaming but still seeing as my laptop is Nvidia some games only work with this and I'd like to use the graphics on it for light gaming.

I was wondering, as I use dual BIOS could this mess up the discreet GPU in someway. Or has the GPU disconnected somehow physically from motherboard? Any help would be appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
Hasn't worked in like 3 years.
Highly probable that the GPU was dead back then.

What OS are you working with at the time of writing? In order to rule out a GPU being disconnected from it's socket/slot, you will need to disassemble the laptop and inspect the innards. FYI, the GPU in your laptop is soldered onto the motherboard, so if it's indeed dead, you have no option but to resolder a GPU chip(if you know how to do reballing) or get a new motherboard for the laptop, which will cost the same as buying a new laptop(at this point).