Question GPU not recognized in Device Manager

Baumer_85

Prominent
Mar 31, 2020
Hello all. I just built my first gaming pc but I have this one issue of the GPU not showing up in device manager.
Here are my specs.
MOBO: Asrock b450 / ac
CPU: Ryzen 5 3400g w/integrated vega 11 graphics
GPU: Radeon RX 5700 xt (xfx thicc II)
PSU: 750W (80+ Gold)

Installed the GPU and plugged the HDMI into it, booted the computer and nothing happened. moved the HDMI cord back to the motherboard port and voila, it is still outputting through the motherboard only. I looked under Device Manager and the only display adapter shown is the Vega 11 integrated graphics.

Here is everything I have tried.

- Checked MOBO settings - made sure the MOBO would is set to output through discrete GPU over integrated if one is present in PCI-E slot.

- Re-seated the GPU in the PCI-E socket to make sure it was making a good connection and that it snapped in. Did this several times actually.

- Made sure PSU was hooked up properly, connecting both the 6 pin and 8 pin connectors. Two blue LEDs illuminate, confirming I have power.

- Ran DDU to get rid of useless drivers and installed latest drivers from AMD.

- Updated UEFI to latest firmware.

- Reset CMOS

- Tested PCI-E slot by trying out a different GPU. I installed an RX 580. It worked like a charm on its first boot after install. I put the computer to sleep after testing out a few games, and upon reawakening, it no longer recognizes the RX 580. Doesnt show in Device Manager. HDMI only outputs through the MOBO.
Edit - OK I got the Rx 580 working again. Apparently windows auto downloaded some drivers that conflicted, because when I restarted in safe mode, ran DDU, and reinstalled AMD newest drivers, it worked again. I tried that again with the 5700 xt and it still is not working.

Can someone please tell me there is some obvious solution to this that I havent tried? I would love to get this thing working.

Last edited:

Baumer_85

Prominent
Mar 31, 2020
That is correct. The GPU is installed, and powered, but does not appear within the device manager. The computer works just fine. All video and graphics are being processed by the integrated graphics (vega 11) and the RX 5700 xt (discrete) is just no where to be found.
po2ODHAMp

Baumer_85

Prominent
Mar 31, 2020
No. No output whatsoever.
I was able to easily get two other GPUs working just fine. An RX 580 and an RX 460, just this on (5700xt) is being a butt. I contacted XFX support and walked them through every thing I've tried so far. They are going to have me just send it in. Seems to be a faulty card.

I will update if it happens to be something else.