Question Gpu not running at full potential

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FastbackNL

Reputable
May 27, 2019
Best reader,

I have recently swaped out my gtx 970 for a 2070 super. It performs (most of the time) really well but I have a problem:
  • On some games like Warthunder and Squad my gpu doesn't use his full potential. It's usage is only around 9% when playing Warthunder, which results in only 60-80 fps.
  • On the other hand, the usage when using Heaven Benchmark 4.0 is around 94-98%.

Why is it that it only performs fully when using the Heaven Benchmark, but not when I am trying to play a game.

The temperatures on my gpu are normal, on the max 70 degrees celcius.

What I have already tried:
  • Changing the energy-plan.
  • Changing different settings ingame, like Vsync etc.

What possibly could be the cause:
- Having a 600 W normal 80+ power supply, even though 650 W is suggested. I can also hear what's called a ''coil whine'' I think.

If you could help me or suggest something, please let me know!

Here are my full system specs:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DmqDwc

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Here is something intreseting, so I may be completely wrong, but how can it be a psu issue? He said that in heaven benchmark his gpu reaches 95% and assuming it runs it stable, then, the issue can't be from the psu
The fact that the gpu runs at a lower usage in only some scenarios makes it sound like a software issue, maybe the drivers, or the bios, or the game (since he said an update fixed war thunder) or the kind of slow ram, but I may be completely wrong lol. This is just my understanding
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...pc-when-playing-a-game.3766178/#post-22718631

FastbackNL

Reputable
May 27, 2019
Here is something intreseting, so I may be completely wrong, but how can it be a psu issue? He said that in heaven benchmark his gpu reaches 95% and assuming it runs it stable, then, the issue can't be from the psu
The fact that the gpu runs at a lower usage in only some scenarios makes it sound like a software issue, maybe the drivers, or the bios, or the game (since he said an update fixed war thunder) or the kind of slow ram, but I may be completely wrong lol. This is just my understanding
That was my thought to, but what is weird is that after Warthunder updated, it reaches 95% load once again. But other games still around 40-60%, very strange. But I am going to at least update the bios now, I will let you guys know if it changes anyting. Thanks again

FastbackNL

Reputable
May 27, 2019
Bios change did nothing, unfortunatly. But I have found out that my gpu usage is different when using a different game and when being in a different screen in the game. My gpu load and fps is very low in the menu of Warthunder, but when I start up a game the fps is high, as well as my gpu load. In Squad and Rust however, my gpu usage just stays at around 30-50% in game.

Apr 13, 2022
Bios change did nothing, unfortunatly. But I have found out that my gpu usage is different when using a different game and when being in a different screen in the game. My gpu load and fps is very low in the menu of Warthunder, but when I start up a game the fps is high, as well as my gpu load. In Squad and Rust however, my gpu usage just stays at around 30-50% in game.
Just a bit of advice from personal experience,
Try monitoring a few things such as your fps, cpu usage, ram usage, temperatures of your cpu and gpu
The issue is so weird, it may not even be your gpu, because it works in some scenarios just fine.
For example maybe your fps is locked, considering you said you played with vsync, if I really had to say, I would say there is no issue except the games.
It's weird for a part to work consistently sometimes and then consistently not work other times.
I think it's just doing what it's told to do, potentially, the games just aren't utilising it, while other games like war thunder after the update can utilise it.
Try other games that are well optimized, raise the setting and resoultion. (Red dead redemption might be a good choice i think)And see if it pushes your gpu to near its max, if they do, I would say you have no issue, try getting support from the devolpers of the games you are having issue with.
But I may be wrong lol

FastbackNL

Reputable
May 27, 2019
Just a bit of advice from personal experience,
Try monitoring a few things such as your fps, cpu usage, ram usage, temperatures of your cpu and gpu
The issue is so weird, it may not even be your gpu, because it works in some scenarios just fine.
For example maybe your fps is locked, considering you said you played with vsync, if I really had to say, I would say there is no issue except the games.
It's weird for a part to work consistently sometimes and then consistently not work other times.
I think it's just doing what it's told to do, potentially, the games just aren't utilising it, while other games like war thunder after the update can utilise it.
Try other games that are well optimized, raise the setting and resoultion. (Red dead redemption might be a good choice i think)And see if it pushes your gpu to near its max, if they do, I would say you have no issue, try getting support from the devolpers of the games you are having issue with.
But I may be wrong lol
Thank you for your answer! Because I am hearing a coil whine from my psu and the minimum recommenden Wattage for my card is 650, i bought a gold rated 650 watt psu. I am going to have to see if it solves anyting. I am also gonna try RDR2, see if that runs well. I will let you guys know! and thanks as always.

Apr 13, 2022
As you said so @RekWrecks , Read dead redemption runs great, high settings and high fps, with high gpu load and good temperatures. So maybe it depends on the game?
That's great to hear!
yes it absolutely depends on the game, not every game is optimized to fully utilise your gpu. I don't know much about rust, back in its early days it was a buggy game, but don't know how it's doing right now.
but, if rdr2 runs well, uses your gpu fully and everything is fine, then probably, the problem is fully from rust, either try playing more with the settings or contact the devs
Have a good day!

FastbackNL

Reputable
May 27, 2019
Thank you!
That's great to hear!
yes it absolutely depends on the game, not every game is optimized to fully utilise your gpu. I don't know much about rust, back in its early days it was a buggy game, but don't know how it's doing right now.
but, if rdr2 runs well, uses your gpu fully and everything is fine, then probably, the problem is fully from rust, either try playing more with the settings or contact the devs
Have a good day!
It's unfortunatly not only Rust, but I will just have to wait on the new PSU!

Reactions: RexWrecks