[SOLVED] gpu not running on 100%

Feb 16, 2021
recently when im playing any game with unlimited fps, my gpu and cpu dont run at 100%.
in the past i had no problems with it. when i played warzone my gpu was always on 95-100% but now it only runs at 50-80%.
specs:
RX 5700 XT
R5 3600
MSI B450
16GB DDR4 3200MHz

Solution
You aren't supposed to be at 100% usage. It's a common misconception.

Usage isn't how much of the gpu is used, it's how much the gpu has to use. There's a difference.

When you lift a glass of water, you will use 100% of your available muscles in your arm, every tendon and ligament in your wrist and fingers. But thats entirely different from using 100% of the Muscle in your arm. You don't squeeze the glass as tight as you can, you don't struggle to lift it with all your strength, you don't 'wing' it up as fast as possible.

You just apply as much as is needed to lift the glass, but will use everything to do do. That's usage.

Your gpu/cpu is doing the same thing, using 100% of the resources it's using, but doesn't need to use 100%...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

Usage isn't how much of the gpu is used, it's how much the gpu has to use. There's a difference.

When you lift a glass of water, you will use 100% of your available muscles in your arm, every tendon and ligament in your wrist and fingers. But thats entirely different from using 100% of the Muscle in your arm. You don't squeeze the glass as tight as you can, you don't struggle to lift it with all your strength, you don't 'wing' it up as fast as possible.

You just apply as much as is needed to lift the glass, but will use everything to do do. That's usage.

Your gpu/cpu is doing the same thing, using 100% of the resources it's using, but doesn't need to use 100% of All the resources.

Usage is a tool to use for comparisons and monitoring of the software the cpu/gpu is running, it's not a report of the cpu/gpu itself.

That said, what changed. What has been done to the pc/software that might change usage? Optimized game driver files added, windows updates, driver updates, changed monitors, dropped settings? What? Something has changed and since the numbers have gone down, that's actually a good thing.

100% usage means there's nothing left to give. If your dude is running through town at 100% usage, and a tank bursts through a wall that'll be a massive increase in physX, computations, vector analysis, particles etc, but the cpu/gpu has no more resources to deal with all that. No headroom. Making each frame take longer to populate, fps drops badly.

Having more headroom, lower usage means you have room for the additional effort required, fps doesn't drop as much.

Solution
Feb 16, 2021

Your gpu/cpu is doing the same thing, using 100% of the resources it's using, but doesn't need to use 100% of All the resources.

Usage is a tool to use for comparisons and monitoring of the software the cpu/gpu is running, it's not a report of the cpu/gpu itself.

That said, what changed. What has been done to the pc/software that might change usage? Optimized game driver files added, windows updates, driver updates, changed monitors, dropped settings? What? Something has changed and since the numbers have gone down, that's actually a good thing.

100% usage means there's nothing left to give. If your dude is running through town at 100% usage, and a tank bursts through a wall that'll be a massive increase in physX, computations, vector analysis, particles etc, but the cpu/gpu has no more resources to deal with all that. No headroom. Making each frame take longer to populate, fps drops badly.

Having more headroom, lower usage means you have room for the additional effort required, fps doesn't drop as much.

i understand that, but its weird cause i could play with 100+ fps when my gpu was constant at 95-100% and now im playing with average 80fps with drops to 60fps.