Question GPU not showing, instead its using Intel HD 530

Apr 3, 2019
So the other day i got home and the monitor was blank. I switched to the other HDMI port and it started working but all the games i played had low FPS. I went from 60+ FPS on a game like BDO on ultra settings to 10- FPS. I did a factory reset to perhaps clear some things out to help, but the problem persisted. I tried going onto the bios and went into the advanced tab, System Agent Configuration, and when i put the primary display to PCI-E, my monitor is blank. If I use CPU Graphics it shows. Also, I try to download the drivers but it doesn't allow me because it says i dont have any nvidia graphics cards -.-... anyone have a similar problem or know a solution? I made sure the graphics card was secured as well

Moribund

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
You have only 1 PCI-E slot? Any other graphics cards you have to check if the issue is with the card or the motherboard? Any other working boards so you could check if the card died (because this is what it sounds like)?

Apr 3, 2019
You have only 1 PCI-E slot? Any other graphics cards you have to check if the issue is with the card or the motherboard? Any other working boards so you could check if the card died (because this is what it sounds like)?
Not that I know of, but I can check in my BIOS and find out. I did though, try to find out whether that was the case and hopefully it's not, but the fan of the GPU was running fine and I made sure everything was in tact as well. Although I don't know if the fan running can prove the GPU died or not but I've only had it for about two years now.

Moribund

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
Power to the fan is not a reliable indicator that the card is fully functional. Reinstalling the system or returning to factory state pretty much rules out an issue with the system, so it's down to testing BIOS and hardware. If you have 2 PCI-e slots, - use a second slot to see if the card will be recognized. Also make sure to use the compressed air and blow out the PCI-e slots, checking that nothing is stuck to the contacts of the card as well. PSU rails going to the video card could be another culprit, they could either die or fail to provide proper voltage/amperage causing your card to not be recognized. Good idea to invest into a PSU tester or a rudimentary volt meter to rule out these problems. Main thing is - try to run your system through onboard card. If these same issues do not recur with onboard card, - you have your likely culprit, - the GPU you were using. If these same issues with colour and mouse not working properly do recur - you may want to replace the board. Best of luck