Question GPU not sitting properly in PCIe slot ?

Jerrythefairry

Reputable
May 3, 2020
I’ve got the fractal torrent, msi z690 tomahawk and 3080 ti aorus master .

not sure if anyone else has this problem but when I got to seat my GPU into the motherboard the clip clicks on the pcie but closer to the rear mounting spot on the case, the videocard is not in all the way here’s a picture of what I mean
image0.jpg
And here’s the mounting spot on the case, it’s as far down as it’ll go
IMG_0248.jpg
Is this a case manufacturing error? Can I fix it myself somehow? The backplate metal is very sturdy, not sure if it’s bend well

Last edited:

Jerrythefairry

Reputable
May 3, 2020
I hear a “click” but it’s very faint. But when I bench test with no case it’s a louder more pronounced “click!”which makes me think it’s not seating correctly into the pcie slot

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
I hear a “click” but it’s very faint. But when I bench test with no case it’s a louder more pronounced “click!”which makes me think it’s not seating correctly into the pcie slot
Definitly it is case problem. Send me the picture whole part where are pcie covers. I got similar problem when I noticed gpu sag. After I properly mount gpu I saw not paraller line gpu with case, but gpu no sagging. Sorry on my english, I hope you understood.

InvalidError

Titan
Did you screw the motherboard directly into the case without standoffs? Short of a colossal case design fail, that is the only reason I can think of for the GPU's power tab (the little part near the IO bracket before the notch) to not seat properly into the motherboard when the IO bracket is screwed in.

Jerrythefairry

Reputable
May 3, 2020
Definitly it is case problem. Send me the picture whole part where are pcie covers. I got similar problem when I noticed gpu sag. After I properly mount gpu I saw not paraller line gpu with case, but gpu no sagging. Sorry on my english, I hope you understood.

not sure what picture you wanted but here some more
IMG_0249.jpg
the GPU needs to go down more but the backplate on the case is preventing it from doing so
IMG_0248.jpg

This is the bracket on the GPU hard to see in picture but those braces are not aligned one is slightly more out than in
IMG_0250.jpg

Jerrythefairry

Reputable
May 3, 2020
Did you screw the motherboard directly into the case without standoffs? Short of a colossal case design fail, that is the only reason I can think of for the GPU's power tab (the little part near the IO bracket before the notch) to not seat properly into the motherboard when the IO bracket is screwed in.
the case came with standoffs already in the case and The motherboard IO bracket is sitting nice and tightly in the cut out slot for it no miss alignment there. So I don’t think the standoffs are the problem
Just hoping someone’s dealt with this issue before and is able to comment on how to resolve it.

InvalidError

Titan
the case came with standoffs already in the case and The motherboard IO bracket is sitting nice and tightly in the cut out slot for it no miss alignment there. So I don’t think the standoffs are the problem
Were standoffs fitted for all of your motherboard's screw holes or did you skip some? Missing standoffs in the IO slot area would allow the motherboard to flex away from the cards you are attempting to plug in.

It looks like the card is not fully pressed down in the slot.
It can not be pressed down any more because the rear tab that secures it to the case is already fully screwed down.
That says that the motherboard is too low. Perhaps caused by too short standoffs.
What is the make/model of the case?
I suspect a quality control error from the case manufacturer.
See if you can't return the case and get a different one.

In which photo do you see that?
In the third photo, you can see that there is a gap between the notch where the G is and the motherboard slot.
I just did a test fit with a spare card and motherboard card and it looks as though the card should fit more into the slot. That said, the very first photo seems to show that the card was not lowered into the slot evenly.
I would unscrew the card and remount, pressing it in evenly to seat it, only then screw in the rear .

Jerrythefairry

Reputable
May 3, 2020
I don't see anything wrong in those photos.
Show us something, that would indicate a problem.

This is backplate.Not exactly sure, what you're calling a "backplate".

It looks like the card is not fully pressed down in the slot.
It can not be pressed down any more because the rear tab that secures it to the case is already fully screwed down.
That says that the motherboard is too low. Perhaps caused by too short standoffs.
What is the make/model of the case?
I suspect a quality control error from the case manufacturer.
See if you can't return the case and get a different one.
fractal torrent mid size. Standoffs are where they need to be because motherboard IO is fitting perfectly in the cutout

Sep 15, 2023
I’ve got the fractal torrent, msi z690 tomahawk and 3080 ti aorus master .

not sure if anyone else has this problem but when I got to seat my GPU into the motherboard the clip clicks on the pcie but closer to the rear mounting spot on the case, the videocard is not in all the way here’s a picture of what I mean
image0.jpg
And here’s the mounting spot on the case, it’s as far down as it’ll go
IMG_0248.jpg
Is this a case manufacturing error? Can I fix it myself somehow? The backplate metal is very sturdy, not sure if it’s bend well
I'm 90 percent sure that this is a pc case issue. I had the same issue where my pc case is not enabling my gpu to sit properly because of the distance from the backplate to the "gold" connectors of the gpu. Here's the story on how I learned that this was a pc case issue: I returned two same gpu models to it's sellers because of no display, both of the sellers told me that the gpu is working fine and sent me a video of it working after returning it to them, I was puzzled at first, now I tried to remove the motherboard from the case as I was having a suspicion already with the gpu not sitting properly. I tried the "no pc case method" wherein you need to turn on the whole system unit with only a screwdriver because you don't have any power button on the motherboard itself. BOOM, now it's working. Changed my pc case, no issues from thereon.

If anyone having a same problem but still want to keep the pc case, just try to re-adjust the standoff screws to certain height in order for the gpu's connector will reach your mobo's connectors