Question Gpu not turning on

koolghost

Reputable
Apr 21, 2017
I have a zotac gtx 1050ti oc and it isn't working. I turned on my pc and the case fans, cpu fans, activity leds everything turn on except my gpu fans don't turn on and hence there is no output. The debug led on my motherboard light up on vga indicating a problem. Is the gpu damaged or the pci connector on my motherboard damaged.

I tried using HDMI and DP on gpu, remove and install gpu 2-3 times and turn pc on without gpu. The pc turns on. Although I cannot confirm that pc is working fine because my motherboard doesn't have HDMI or DP and I don't have any display that has other connectors.

koolghost

Reputable
Apr 21, 2017
Is it a new GPU?
Could be the cable, but is probably the GPU.

What is your PSU make and model?
What is the rest of your system spec for that matter (namely Motherboard).
The gpu is around 1.5-2 years old. It draws power directly from the motherboard.
Specs -
i3 - 6100 with stock cooler
8gb 2133mhz ddr4 hyperx fury
Msi H110m pro vd motherboard
Cooler master mwe 450W 80+ power supply

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The MWE series are average quality PSUs but budget line I believe, so it could well be this, but I would sooner go down GPU route.

May be apt getting a DVI or VGA cable from somewhere/someone to test if the on-board graphics works normally. I would usually say try a different PCIe slot, but your board only has the one.

I would generally say it's more likely the GPU is faulty than the PCIe slot itself. You should be able to return the GPU under warranty.

Did anything change (hardware) or did you install any new software just before the issue occured? Any BIOS updates? Any driver updates?

koolghost

Reputable
Apr 21, 2017
The MWE series are average quality PSUs but budget line I believe, so it could well be this, but I would sooner go down GPU route.

May be apt getting a DVI or VGA cable from somewhere/someone to test if the on-board graphics works normally. I would usually say try a different PCIe slot, but your board only has the one.

I would generally say it's more likely the GPU is faulty than the PCIe slot itself. You should be able to return the GPU under warranty.

Did anything change (hardware) or did you install any new software just before the issue occured? Any BIOS updates? Any driver updates?
No updates were installed. I will try using VGA or DVI. I do have an old gpu which I was using before this 1050 ti. Should I try installing the old gpu or will windows not boot because of the drivers?
Thank you for the help

koolghost

Reputable
Apr 21, 2017
Depends if it is AMD. If it is AMD - you'd be best uninstalling current drivers using DDU.
But it is certainly a good step to do to verify if it is the GPU.
GPU Driver was causing the problem. I just uninstalled the drivers with DDU and the gpu started working again. However i'm confused because the gpu wasn't turning on at all and drivers shouldn't come into action until windows has booted.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
GPU Driver was causing the problem. I just uninstalled the drivers with DDU and the gpu started working again. However i'm confused because the gpu wasn't turning on at all and drivers shouldn't come into action until windows has booted.

Drivers can start before windows has fully booted. There are even boot load drivers, which are drivers required for your PC / OS to work correctly, and your computer puts these aside to load during startup.

I suggested using DDU because having previous drivers can cause conflictions with your current ones, which is why it will now work being as the previous drivers are now cleared. Either way, I'm glad your issue has been solved, just remember to select a best answer once you're happy so that others visiting the forum can see the solution.

koolghost

Reputable
Apr 21, 2017
Thank you everyone for the help, but the problem is not solved. After the gpu worked, I shut down the pc and turned it on the next day. The gpu was again not working. So uninstalled drivers using DDU and used my old xfx hd6670(did not install drivers for it, windows update was also paused). It worked so I tried the 1050 ti again and it still won't work.
I went to get the 1050ti serviced and the gpu was working fine in their pc. They suggested it may be psu's fault and recommended to try it in a different pc. I installed the gpu in my friend's pc and it was working fine. I tried with an older 350W psu and the gpu didn't work. So all there is left now is the motherboard. Is it possible that the pcie slot is providing enough power to the gpu? The xfx hd6670 works fine in the slot.