Gpu not using 100% most of the time

Nov 13, 2018
GTX 1070 ROG OC
i72600 @3.8-4ghz
8gb DDR3 1333mhz
500w psu 80+ silver
2560x1080 (idk if 21:9 would effect it but ill add it)

my GPU rarely reaches 100%. i mainly play fortnite and its sits around 60-80%. im pretty sure its not my CPU because it sits on at most 60% while playing and its not thermals because the GPU reaches a max of 68 C and CPU 71Cish

the only time i get 100% is like when i play ark on all epic settings and even then it sometimes drops to 70-80%. Ive set windows power mode to high performance and allowed the 1070 20% more power in MSI Afterburner.

i haven't tried any other games other than those two because i reinstalled windows on my computer to see if that would fix it.

this is my usage when i was in a game of fortnite, the 100% is when im in the lobby
unknown.png

this is my power usage when im in game, 100% is in the lobby too
unknown.png

Solution
Performance issues like that could be wide variety of reasons.

Drivers, new driver problems, Geforce Experience optimising incorrectly, Xbox Gamebar dvr with Windows 10. Could be memory issues, could be thermal throttling. Could be background running processes consuming too much resources or too many tabs open in Chrome for example.

Check cpu/gpu temps using Hwinfo and coretemp (Other apps like Hwmonitor, speccy, realtemp are unreliable) and check system resources in task manager / scan for viruses and malware.

Try an older Geforce driver. https://www.geforce.com/drivers

4xx series have known to cause problems for 10series Geforce while Nvidia optimises their Turing cards. Some 4xx versions may get lucky and others can cause...
Nov 13, 2018

wait why would i not? every benchmark i see has it at 100% and they get way more frames than me

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Graphics card usages vary in all sorts of games and also depends on graphic settings and resolution.

For less graphic intensive games like Fortnite its not demanding a lot of your gpu to get the job done. You'll see more of an increase in gpu usage if resolution was higher as in 2k and 4k where the real grunt of a card is tested.

Higher gpu usage doesn't always necessarily mean higher fps either.

Nov 13, 2018

but why does mine not run at 100% and others do with the exact same specs in the exact same game? and i get alot of random stutters when playing because of the usage dropping to 30%

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Performance issues like that could be wide variety of reasons.

Drivers, new driver problems, Geforce Experience optimising incorrectly, Xbox Gamebar dvr with Windows 10. Could be memory issues, could be thermal throttling. Could be background running processes consuming too much resources or too many tabs open in Chrome for example.

Check cpu/gpu temps using Hwinfo and coretemp (Other apps like Hwmonitor, speccy, realtemp are unreliable) and check system resources in task manager / scan for viruses and malware.

Try an older Geforce driver. https://www.geforce.com/drivers

4xx series have known to cause problems for 10series Geforce while Nvidia optimises their Turing cards. Some 4xx versions may get lucky and others can cause problems. Perhaps try 3xx series.

Use DDU to uninstall graphics drivers in safemode.

Solution
Low GPU usage is also a sign of CPU bottlenecking, and your CPU doesn't need to be at 100% for it to bottleneck the GPU. This is because an i7 2600 has 8 logical cores, but a game like Fortnite probably only maxes out 4-6 logical cores, so your CPU utilization doesn't hit 100% but the CPU is going as fast as it can, while the GPU has room to go faster.

Nov 13, 2018

i thought this could be the case but i checked all 8 "logical cores" and 2 cores were getting to about 80%, the rest were at like 40-60%

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I get what Shektron is saying, more fps does use more cpu as each frame is drawn for the gpu to render. Though imo 2600 shouldn't have too much trouble providing a 1070 decently.

Id look at the things ive mentioned. Disable Gamebar especially Xbox dvr as it records your gameplay automatically. Not so much an issue but it does add toward cpu usages.

In Fortnite, have you set 3D resolution to 100%?Because resolution setting is just for the hud afaik.

Additional info about fps and cpu usage watch this vid of bf1, even a 8600k can show high cpu usages at higher fps.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo3EJzHuXok&t=326s"][/video]