Question Gpu not using full power (Used to work better)

Oct 6, 2020
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3600
SSD/HDD: Kingston 1tb SSD & Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD
GPU: Founder Edition 2060 Super
PSU: Thermaltake SMART 600W
Case: NZXT 500 Case

Recently my GPU and CPU has had low usage with my GPU being maxed usually at 40% and my cpu at around 20-30%. They wont go over this limit not matter what games I play when before my GPU would reach 100% and cpu would go up to 50%. I also notice a problem that games would randomly freeze for a second then go back to normal even on games that don't require much like League of Legends. Also this all seemed to start when I started playing FFIV where my PC seemed to get a little hot, more than it would usually.

Solutions I tried:

Update drivers, chipset and anything that was available. (After updating the drivers it stopped the frame drops for now but still nothing about gpu and cpu usage)

Update Windows 10

Checked if Cpu was being limited on Resource Monitor in Task Manager (it wasn't)
Ran a userbenchmark test and said everything was okay except cpu background usage was fine. My Gpu and Cpu were both able to go up to 98%ish with this test. I also tried a harder to run game (Black Desert Online) my gpu seemed to cap at 60% on this game but i was getting small frame drops at times.

Changed power performance

Checked for V-Sync

I also recently put in a new HDD but I did not check my usage when I first put it in so I'm unsure if that's the cause

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please include your system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

check and see which BIOS version you're on at the moment for your motherboard. Also, if you're on Windows 10 version 2004, use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, then download the latest from Nvidia's support site and manually install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Apart from including the make and model of the PSU, how old is the unit?

Oct 6, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please include your system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

check and see which BIOS version you're on at the moment for your motherboard. Also, if you're on Windows 10 version 2004, use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, then download the latest from Nvidia's support site and manually install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Apart from including the make and model of the PSU, how old is the unit?
My PSU is a thermaltake SMART 600w PSU 80+ W and its about 9 Months old. I just fixed my post thank you for telling me. My bios version is up date I think, i've been updating my drivers and whatever Dragon Center is telling me to update.

Oct 6, 2020
It seems my gpu usage is basically being limited depending on which game takes more to run how do i turn this off I want it to run at a higher usage on every game, ive tried to change it in the power settings and nvidia control but nothing is working.