[SOLVED] GPU not working after reboot

niti911

Reputable
Mar 7, 2016
Got a new SSD and did a clean install of windows 10. Downloaded necessary drivers for gpu ( gtx960 ) and motherboard ( MSI Z97 gaming 5 ). Close up the pc and put it in place to find out pc turns on but screen shows there's no source.

I unplugged everything and reconnected hardware 1 by 1 to find out gpu was the cause, everything works fine with gpu removed and running on intel default graphics. With little hope I did a bios update, and tried the other slots for the gpu to no avail. Also, gpu fans spin when turned on and then stop spinning, until I power off the pc. Anyone know what I should do next? Thanks in advance.

Solution
Well, do your gpu fans run idle when not underload? Every mobo should do a precheck of all components before post and if your gpu fans spinning up is the precheck. If your gpu fans normally don't idle, then I would say that its failing the precheck post. I don't mean to ask stupid questions but is your display cord plugged into your gpu and not your integrated graphics? Could you disable onboard graphics through bios and set it to PCI.

kestux3

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
Well, do your gpu fans run idle when not underload? Every mobo should do a precheck of all components before post and if your gpu fans spinning up is the precheck. If your gpu fans normally don't idle, then I would say that its failing the precheck post. I don't mean to ask stupid questions but is your display cord plugged into your gpu and not your integrated graphics? Could you disable onboard graphics through bios and set it to PCI.

Reactions: niti911
Solution

niti911

Reputable
Mar 7, 2016

No stupid questions! Because the result might be a stupid solution! I don't even know why the display chord was not plugged into the gpu. Side note though, while i was installing windows and doing all the driver installations, the display chord was not connected to gpu ( even though the gpu was connected to the motherboard ) and everything seemed fine, i don't know why then it was not working. But thanks again, hopefully there isn't another problem that i'm not aware of.