[SOLVED] GPU now only runs alongside integrated graphics, runs terribly, any way to fix this?

Oct 16, 2020
I have a problem with my GPU - it does not output a signal through the displayport cable it is connected to the monitor through. BUT, it does work, only I have to use my monitor via the VGA cable connected to the motherboard, with integrated graphics and GPU working simultaneously. This affects the performance of the GPU quite a bit.
I assume this means that the gpu is outputting through the pcie slot, which makes no sense to me, but the signal must be getting from it to the monitor somehow and its not through the displayport.
If I tell the monitor to read from the displayport cable, all that happens is there is a black screen for a few secs before the monitor says it is about to go into power save mode - is it strange that it says this rather than "no input detected" like it would if the pc was turned off?
Another problem this all causes is that the screen saying "press f1 to boot" when i start up my pc does not actually show up, so i have to guess when its ready and press f1 then - after that it will soon pop up with the windows lockscreen.
I may have missed some stuff, so if you want more info or my explanation makes no sense please ask, and here are my pc specs:
GPU: radeon rx550, CPU: intel core 17-4790, RAM: 16gb ddr3, mobo: a dell one from an office computer, cant think of any other relevant specs but please say if i missed an important one.
btw my radeon graphics drivers are all up to date

I would love it if any of you could help, solve the problem or offer any insights you have. Thanks!

Solution
Fixed the problem:
Everything that was happening was because the displayport cable was plugged loosely into the pc.
This is still really weird because it means certain bits of data were and certain bits weren't going through the cable, which can't have been good for it.
At least the problem is solved!
Oct 16, 2020
Fixed the problem:
Everything that was happening was because the displayport cable was plugged loosely into the pc.
This is still really weird because it means certain bits of data were and certain bits weren't going through the cable, which can't have been good for it.
At least the problem is solved!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS