Question GPU on 100% but GPU stuck on 210 mhz

Apr 17, 2023
My 3050can't game. I have bought a laptop, the Asus Vivobook Pro 14 about 10 months ago, cuz i wanted something to game on that doesn't look too bulky. Haven't really gotten the chance to do so, but when i did, i couldnt even get to 60 fps in most games.

I have tried everything on every forum, like clean install of windows, i ddu'd, made sure my drivers are updated, contacted asus support, made sure the games are running on the GPU not the integrated graphics, tried scheduled GPU acceleration, set my card to choose performance over quality, upgraded to windows 11 (maybe it does better with newer laptops idk), watched like 3 optimization videos on laptops on youtube, downloaded once the studio drivers, once the gaming drivers, set the highest performance in MyAsus app and still nothing.

I sent it to the service cuz it was in warranty, told them that this laptop's performance is crappy af, comparing it to the same laptop's gaming benchmarks i found on youtube (e.g: forza horizon 5 running at 70 fps @ 1080p, i was not getting above 12 fps). After a while, they reached back to me saying there's no such issue and if im experiencing issues its because i didnt update the drivers from MyAsus app (there were updates for drivers for the microphone, camera and stuff unralated to the GPU which i didnt do cuz it didnt let me, but managed to do them after a fresh installation of windows 10). So they sent it back to me, did as they told me and still no improvement.

Fast forward to the present, i started digging more and more on the forums, to see if theres someone else with my problem, and applied even more fixes like setting the GPU power management to the maximum performance and so on. I even tried msi afterburner to see if i can OC it, and noticed that the card was stuck on 210 mhz, spiking for a fraction of a second to above 1000mhz then going back. As for the memory clock, its stuck as well on 5500 mhz when its under load, in rest it stays at 405mhz. Also did the 3dmark bench and it got 1% scored, for laptops with the same hardware. What should i do?

ASUS Vivobook PRO 14 OLED M3401QC
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H
NVIDIA RTX 3050 Studio 50W TDP
16 GB ram @ 3200mhz

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you check and see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates?

upgraded to windows 11
Did the laptop come preinstalled with Windows 10? That would mean you upgraded to 11 using he internal upgrade path? if so, you're advised to install the OS anew after creating your bootable UBS installer.

like clean install of windows
Where did you source the installer for the OS?

Apr 17, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you check and see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates?

upgraded to windows 11
Did the laptop come preinstalled with Windows 10? That would mean you upgraded to 11 using he internal upgrade path? if so, you're advised to install the OS anew after creating your bootable UBS installer.

like clean install of windows
Where did you source the installer for the OS?
The BIOS is updated.
The laptop didnt come with any OS, i downloaded the media creation tool for windows 10 from the windows website. When it got back from service, it was wiped again, no OS, so i did install windows 10 once again from the official site. Windows 11 was just updated from windows 10 settings.

Last edited:
The BIOS is updated.
The laptop didnt come with any OS, i downloaded the media creation tool for windows 10 from the windows website. When it got back from service, it was wiped again, no OS, so i did install windows 10 once again from the official site. Windows 11 was just updated from windows 10 settings.
It didn't come with any OS? I didn't know that was even a thing. Where did you get it? I only ask because my VivoBook came with W10. Laptops have some very specific drivers which is why operating systems always come pre-loaded. Yours is the first that I've ever heard of that isn't like this.

Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
It didn't come with any OS? I didn't know that was even a thing. Where did you get it? I only ask because my VivoBook came with W10. Laptops have some very specific drivers which is why operating systems always come pre-loaded. Yours is the first that I've ever heard of that isn't like this.
how does a laptop come with no OS? The whole point of a laptop for most people is that it just works and they don't have to tinker with it because most people aren't comfortable with that.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Apr 17, 2023
how does a laptop come with no OS? The whole point of a laptop for most people is that it just works and they don't have to tinker with it because most people aren't comfortable with that.
Idk, thats what i asked too. But i think its pretty common in my country since i have some friends that didnt get OS on their laptops when they bought it