GPU on lower PCI-E slot

Koyabult

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016
Hello guys!

A couple of questions:

I moved my GPU (rx580 strix, 8gb) from the 1st PCI-E slot of my motherboard (Asus ROG b350-F Gaming) to the 2nd x16 slot (lower portion of the mother board) purely for the aesthetic purpose that my asus ROG emblem does not get covered by the gigantic GPU.

However, when I moved it, I cant seem to get the higher refresh rate on some of my games.. before i can do a 100hz / 75hz refresh rate, now its stuck on the 60hz refresh rate. When I try to move the settings, the game crashes. Though I dont really notice the difference since its an action game( The Division) and I just game casually, I just want to know what happened. And are there any adverse effects in the long term? (if anyone has done it as well)

Also, if you have a USD50 for a cooling solution, would you recommend the AMD wraith max? Im getting mixed reviews, and user opinion would help. :)

Solution
That board's specifications state that both lower x16 slots will run at x4. If a non-Ryzen processor is installed then the middle slot isn't supposed to work at all.

Note the lowest slot is attached to the AM4 chipset, not the CPU--so further shares that x4 interconnect bandwidth with all USB and SATA devices. But it could be used if appearance is more important than performance.

Hard to beat the stock cooler for price, especially when bundled with a CPU. It isn't the quietest but performs great.
That board's specifications state that both lower x16 slots will run at x4. If a non-Ryzen processor is installed then the middle slot isn't supposed to work at all.

Note the lowest slot is attached to the AM4 chipset, not the CPU--so further shares that x4 interconnect bandwidth with all USB and SATA devices. But it could be used if appearance is more important than performance.

Hard to beat the stock cooler for price, especially when bundled with a CPU. It isn't the quietest but performs great.

Solution

Koyabult

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016

I see. Thanks for the input. :) i guess i'll have to move it back though. lol. Thanks again!