Question GPU on new build only use x4 rather than x16 ?

alanthor94

Reputable
Sep 4, 2020
Hello,I have recently finished my build, and I noticed that my GPU only use x4 rather than x16. Its PCIe 3.0.

Specs
AMD Ryzen 5 5500
Radeon RX 6600 8GB VRAM
Gigabyte B550 DS3H
2x 8GB RAM 3200 mhZ

The motherboard only have 2 normal size PCIe slots and one mini. I had to use the bottom PCIe slot, because the top one dont allow me to insert a Wifi-card in the PCIe mini slot due to GPU is in the way.Is the top PCIe slot only x16, or does it change to x16 when i launch a game or something?
PCIe link power managemnt in Windows power options is disabled.

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your wireless adapter? If I were in your predicament/build, I'd have dropped the discrete GPU into the first PCIe slot and then gotten an USB driven wireless adapter/dongle for the PC, if you didn't have access to the B550M DS3H AC which is the same motherboard you own but with an onboard wireless adapter.

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello,I have recently finished my build, and I noticed that my GPU only use x4 rather than x16. Its PCIe 3.0.

Specs
AMD Ryzen 5 5500
Radeon RX 6600 8GB VRAM
Gigabyte B550 DS3H
2x 8GB RAM 3200 mhZ

The motherboard only have 2 normal size PCIe slots and one mini. I had to use the bottom PCIe slot, because the top one dont allow me to insert a Wifi-card in the PCIe mini slot due to GPU is in the way.Is the top PCIe slot only x16, or does it change to x16 when i launch a game or something?
PCIe link power managemnt in Windows power options is disabled.
The 2nd slot is PCIE 3.0 X16 but only @ X4 speed.

1 x PCI Express 3.0 x16

* Supporting PCIe 3.0 x4 mode.

If you got a PCIe extender cable and put the wifi card on that, then you could move the GPU to the top slot and get x8 because that's all your GPU can do. Up to you if it's worth the trouble to go from x4 to x8.

Could be worse, RX6500XT is only electrically x4. They really only intend for you to use these things in PCIe 4.0 slots

Reactions: Karadjgne

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Being electrically x4, means that it only has connections for x4, so it's pcie 2.0 x4, pcie 3.0 x4 or pcie 4.0 x4.

Meaning you took a 3 legged dog in pcie4.0, and tied a brick to both it's back legs by using it in pcie 3.0 slot. It has possible bandwidth of pcie 4.0 x4 but is severely handicapped by the input/output of the mobo at pcie 3.0 x4.

Move the gpu to the top slot.

Latest posts