Status
Not open for further replies.
May 18, 2021
Yesterday I had to leave on a rush and right before I left, my computer was running and electricity went out. I thought it was gonna stay off but as I exited the house it came back instantly which caused the computer to boot up again (I didn't have enough time to shut it down so I just left).

After 2 hours, I came back home and I found that my computer was open. Then I noticed that ONLY my GPU's left fan is spinning, the right fan wasn't. After that, I went on MSI Afterburner, and there I noticed that the fan speed was 0% (auto fan speed enabled, and the fans were on 0% because the GPU was idle and the temperature was low). To get the left fan to stop, I disabled auto fan speed mode and turned the fan speed up to 70%, and then I enabled auto fan speed mode again which set it to 0% which let both fans to stop spinning.

Why was the left fan spinning alone? Does this indicate that the GPU or the fan control ship is damaged or is it caused by how the electricity went out then came back instantly (some electricity and hardware <Mod Edit> that I don't understand maybe)? This has never happened before. I've never seen one fan spin at 0% fan speed with the other not spinning at all.

The fans are still responsive to whatever value I put on Afterburner, and the RPM are still the expected values.

Also, both fans still work.

Extra note: I can't control fans separately on Afterburner.

My card is GIGABYTE GTX 1650 SUPER.

Edit: This is not reproduceable. This has only happened once and I'm not able to reproduce it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Odd, but probably a default mode forced after a Power On event. Better to have a fan spinning than not if it doesn't yet know the temperature of the card. Why it would persist into Windows and such, no idea. Or you have a really freely spinning fan that got kick started at boot and a little tiny voltage was leaking through and making it spin. Would be interesting what happens if you give that fan a spin the right direction when it isn't spinning.

You can prevent your computer from turning itself on after power restoration in the BIOS.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Odd, but probably a default mode forced after a Power On event. Better to have a fan spinning than not if it doesn't yet know the temperature of the card. Why it would persist into Windows and such, no idea. Or you have a really freely spinning fan that got kick started at boot and a little tiny voltage was leaking through and making it spin. Would be interesting what happens if you give that fan a spin the right direction when it isn't spinning.

You can prevent your computer from turning itself on after power restoration in the BIOS.

Solution
May 18, 2021

Should I worry about the card being damaged though?

Status
Not open for further replies.