[SOLVED] Gpu only spins when 6/8 pins are connected

Aug 16, 2020
cpu: i5 67000k
gpu: gtx 1070
psu: evga supernova 850w

I’ve had my computer for almost 3 years now however my problem started around last week. Since it’s summer i’ve been staying up pretty late so at the end of the day i usually end up leaving my computer on. A few days ago i woke up to my Led lights on my case on and one of the fans inside of the pc spinning but the cpu and gpu weren’t and all I had to do was restart the computer and my problem was fixed.

This pretty much happened every other day until yesterday. I went to the store to get groceries for around 15 minutes and when I came back i had the same problem from when I had left my computer on overnight. I restarted the computer multiple times and nothing worked, I checked to see if anything was unplugged inside and realized that nothing was. However, when I went to unplug the gpu and plug it back in only when i slightly unplugged it all the fans would spin and the pc would turn on only for the display on my screen to read “please power down and connect the pcie power cable”. I did that a few more times and found out when the 6 pins are connected the gpu will turn on (only to read that message) but when I add the 2 additional pins it turns right back off, but interestingly it doesn’t turn on when only the 2 pins are connected. I’m very confused as to why this is happening and I want to figure out what parts if any I need to by to fix this

Lastly, I don’t have another pc to test the gpu with or another power supply in my house.

Solution
Is the PSU also three years old?

If so, the PSU may being nearing EOL (End of Life) especially if the PSU has been heavily used for gaming, graphics work, or bit-mining.

You can test the PSU to some extent if you have a multimeter and know how to use it. Or have a family member or friend who does.

Not a full test as the PSU is not underload. However, if one or more voltages are out of spec then the PSU is suspect.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Ralston18

Titan
Is the PSU also three years old?

If so, the PSU may being nearing EOL (End of Life) especially if the PSU has been heavily used for gaming, graphics work, or bit-mining.

You can test the PSU to some extent if you have a multimeter and know how to use it. Or have a family member or friend who does.

Not a full test as the PSU is not underload. However, if one or more voltages are out of spec then the PSU is suspect.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Solution