Question GPU only works half the time ?

PurplePanda

Reputable
Jul 6, 2019
Hello everyone!

So recently my PC started having some issues, which mainly is the GPU won't output a display signal and fans won't spin, however the lights are on.

I've tried all software solutions to solve this problem and non of them worked.

I've tested the voltage on the 8-pin power supply connector and everything seems fine, I went with my PC to several PC shops and they don't seem to have a clue, since the GPU will magically power up sometimes and run fine, with no stuttering, crashing, or anything, however, I noticed that only fan spins when it's on.

Does anyone have an idea on what might be causing this?

PC Specs:

MB: MSI Z-370 A PRO
GPU: 1060 6gb EVGA
CPU: i5-8400
RAM: 2x8gb Corsair
PSU: Corsair TX550M
1xWD 1TB HDD
1xWD 500gb HDD
1x Samsung 500gb SSD

Thank you all!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
since the GPU will magically power up sometimes and run fine

Sometimes? Meaning that there were instances, at PC repair shop, when GPU didn't work? If so, the PC tech should've figured out what is going on.

Does anyone have an idea on what might be causing this?

Either GPU or PSU issue.

To test those:
Take 2nd, known to work, good quality PSU (e.g Seasonic Focus, Corsair RM/RMi/RMx) and try if your build boots to OS, without GPU issues. If it does, time to retire TXm.

GPU wise;
  1. Take out your GPU, connect monitor to MoBo and look if you can boot to OS (needed to test if the rest of the system is sound).
  2. Take 2nd, known to work GPU, plug into your PC and look if you can use 2nd GPU without issues.
  3. Take your GTX 1060, plug it into another PC and look if GPU performs the same in 2nd PC as well. (If the issue remains, GPU is at fault.)
--

What you can also try, is powering on your build in another room of your home, without using any extension cords/power strips. If your PC works fine on another room, there is electrical issue in your room or at the socket you're using. <- This would explain why PC works at repair shop and not in your home. Might want to visit a friend/relative and test your PC at their place as well.