Question GPU - Only works via powered riser ?

Jul 18, 2024
Hi all,

Been lurking for years, but fortunately I've never been stumped enough to need to post.

Here is the issue:

I purchased a new MSI B550M-VC WIFI motherboard and a Ryzen 5 5600x cpu. Everything else I had already.

Let me say this first: I have an old 1060 6GB card that I tried it and that worked fine inserted into any of the PCIe slots.

The GPU I want to use (Powercolor RedDevil AMD 6800) will not work unless I use a powered riser. It's a sata powered riser, so I don't want to use this long term, even though this isn't going to be used for long amounts of time. Just a PC to watch exercise videos and Zwift bike rides.

When I insert it into any PCIe slot the VGA light on the motherboard lights up and there of course is no image. When I use the powered riser, it works fine and also reports as x16 Gen4 on the MSI board explorer.

I tried different PSU's, I've updated the MB BIOS to the latest available, and I've tried the OC and the Silent switches on the GPU.

Anyone have any ideas why the 6800 will only worked on the sata powered riser?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I struggle to see why you would need an RX6800 to do that over a GTX1060, but if the card works with a 1x connection and doesn't work with an x16 or 8x connection, or even a 4x connection, then it is possible there is something wrong with the PCIe pins. Look closely.

If the card is used, it is also possible that it has an alternate BIOS installed which only allows for the 1x connection.

Jul 18, 2024
I was using the the 1060 prior with an old intel cpu. I'm running a 4k monitor and the more recent Zwift and now MyWoosh updates have caused me to get low FPS. The 6800 has been owned by me from the start and the Bios has not been flashed.

I'm not sure how to detect issues with the PCIe pins. They look better than the 1060's. I'll include some pics, but not sure if it will come across accurate enough.