Question GPU or CPU causing PC to not boot up?

Sep 18, 2022
Hi. This is my first time building a PC.

I've been trying to get my build finished for a few weeks now, but I keep getting the same problem.
I have everything put together and turn the computer on. All the fans are running and the motherboard light is lit. No beeping.
When I plug in hdmi to dvi into the computer, it says no signal. I plug in the mouse and it's not lighting up. So, I had the motherboard swapped. I redo everything without the gpu and turn it on, the mouse is lighting up when plugged in. So, I turn it off and put in the gpu, now the mouse doesn't light up. Still no signal from the monitor. Even without the gpu, the ports of the motherboard do not seem to be working since the mouse doesn't light up when plugged in. I think the gpu may have caused this issue, or maybe the cpu is behind it.
Looking this up, it may be the bios. Anyone seen this problem? Thank you.

PC specs (all new items):
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600 (with Noctua cooler)
  • Kingston 8GB DDR4 3200MT/s
  • ASUS Prime B550M-A AC
  • EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 12GB XC GAMING
  • be quiet! Straight Power 11 750W

Hi. This is my first time building a PC.

I've been trying to get my build finished for a few weeks now, but I keep getting the same problem.
I have everything put together and turn the computer on. All the fans are running and the motherboard light is lit. No beeping.
When I plug in hdmi to dvi into the computer, it says no signal. I plug in the mouse and it's not lighting up. So, I had the motherboard swapped. I redo everything without the gpu and turn it on, the mouse is lighting up when plugged in. So, I turn it off and put in the gpu, now the mouse doesn't light up. Still no signal from the monitor. Even without the gpu, the ports of the motherboard do not seem to be working since the mouse doesn't light up when plugged in. I think the gpu may have caused this issue, or maybe the cpu is behind it.
Looking this up, it may be the bios. Anyone seen this problem? Thank you.

PC specs (all new items):
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600 (with Noctua cooler)
  • Kingston 8GB DDR4 3200MT/s
  • ASUS Prime B550M-A AC
  • EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 12GB XC GAMING
  • be quiet! Straight Power 11 750W
try to unplug the ram stick(s) and clean the gold contacts, then put it on slot 2 and/or 4. unplug cmos battery on the board, unplug psu power cable, then press and hold power button for 11 seconds, then put everything back in, and try to boot

Reactions: slamtaro
Sep 18, 2022
try to unplug the ram stick(s) and clean the gold contacts, then put it on slot 2 and/or 4. unplug cmos battery on the board, unplug psu power cable, then press and hold power button for 11 seconds, then put everything back in, and try to boot

This solution did fix the mouse issue, it's on when plugged in. I appreciate it. But, the monitor still says no signal. I heard I can't use vga/dvi cords right now, I have to use hdmi, right? hdmi-hdmi? Thank you

Sep 18, 2022
How did you update the BIOS to make it work with a Zen 3 CPU? Is there a sticker on the motherboard somewhere that says what BIOS version is installed? This motherboard does not have a flashback button if I'm not mistaken.
Is it Zen 3? I still need to update the BIOS. From other threads, I see that I have to take it to a shop or put in a CD to update it. What's the optimal solution to this issue in your opinion? Thanks

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Sep 18, 2022
Update: I got the monitor and PC working! I did put in the RAM sticks into A2 & B2, and connected the HDMI-HDMI cord. Everything works after that. Did not need to update the BIOS (I kept thinking it was a BIOS problem). Rearranging the RAM was helpful, thank you.