Question GPU or CPU upgrade

mehul0519

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
I have CPU i5 2500k @ 3.30 ghz and NVIDIA GPU 770gtx 6gb. The only game I really wanna play is Apex legends. I am getting about 40 fps with low settings ( almost all off in graphics settings). I wonder what would be a cheaper option?

8 GB of RAM

Screen Resolution is 1920 x 1080 on 27 inch monitor.

Sorry, I am not sure how else I can provide my pc specs.

Thanks, guys!

Last edited:
GPU 77gtx 6gb

Which exact GPU model is that ? On what screen resolution do you play games ? List FULL PC specs as well.

Edit: It looks like you edited your OP. So you have the GTX 770, having 2GB VRAM, not 6 ? This is an old GPU, based on the Kepler architecture. Anyways, any new mid-range GPU upgrade should certainly help, despite your old CPU (assuming it doesn't bottleneck the card).

What's your Budget ?

Last edited:

mehul0519

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
I have 6gb ram on GPU according to dxdiag.
Approx. Total Memory : 6083 MB
Display Memoery ( VRAM) : 2007 MB
Shared Memory : 4076 MB

and, I suck at overclocking lol ...

Budget is around $200

mehul0519

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
tn2.png

Finally got it.. Thanks for info there

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Based on your budget, there are quite a few cards which you can go for, mostly mid-range, because a high-end might get bottlenecked by your current CPU. Which camp do you actually prefer, AMD or NVIDIA ?

I think the RX 580, GTX 1060, or even the latest Turing GTX 1660 might fit your budget, and these are going to be faster than your GTX 770, if I'm not mistaken. But some models are expensive, others not so pricey. Depends on the brand, and the cooling solution. Let me think more about this issue, since my suggestion might not be fully accurate.

Let others guide you further for the time being. I will get back soon with more info, since I need to go for some important work now.

in most cases it would be best to get the gpu upgrade and oc the cpu... but games are starting to use extended instruction sets that the older cpu's have to run in software which is slower than running it natively on the hardware.
so it may be time to upgrade the cpu/motherboard and ram if the latest games like apex are what your after playing...
then get a new gpu when you need the fps boost.