G

I have a 500 athlon and a voodoo 5500. I am finding that many of the latest games (tribes 2 and WWII online) does not support the voodoo5500 very well 8(. I am thinking about upgrading so that I can play these games with at respectible frame rates. What is everyones thoughs on which would give me better performance. I would rather not pay $300+ for a video card again, but if the Geforce 3 will make those games run better, longer than spending 180 for a 1.1Ghz motherboard processor combo, I would do it. Would a GTS help much or be better than the Processor?

Thanks for the advise.

Jon

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The GeForce GTS is not very expensive and will give you a good improvement. Even a faster processor can't help your Voodoo very much anymore as it does not support D3D very well.
For about half of what the GTS cost you could also get a Radeon LE. They perform almost as well as the GTS in games and include Environmental Bump Mapping.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
As far as cost preformance is conserned, the radeon's seam to be the winner right know. True, the GeForce2's are better at speed but very few of us can see the difference between 45 FPS and 180 FPS. So I would go with the Radeon. Aslo, if you plan to watch DVD's, the Radeon is the best card for that purpose.

If it works for you then don't fix it.