GPU or PCIe?

Apr 14, 2018
Problem: I started up my PC after a storm (It was unplugged most of the time) and when I went to launch a game everything was fine until I entered the actual 3D part. At that point the screen simple turned completely dark green and didn't do anything at all. I restarted the computer, but when I tried to run PSI AfterBurner the desktop freaked out and the entire screen turned light blue, not the BSOD, but a solid light blue color. I started the computer again and tried the same thing but this time it made a static effect and went dark gray. When one of the colors cover the screen I can do absolutely nothing except shut off the computer. The GPU I was using is a Zotac GTX 660 2GB which had already been used when I bought it from eBay. I'm ready to save more money for a new piece of hardware, but I don't know what to buy. How can I be sure the problem is my GPU and not my PCIe x16 slot? I'm very new to computer building so please make it simple. All suggestions will be appreciated greatly.

Computer Specs:
GPU = Zotac GTX 660 2GB (Used) (Maybe Faulty)
HDD = 1TB (500GB x2) (Used) (No Problems So Far)
PSU = DELTA 550w (Used) (No Problems So Far)
CPU = Intel Quad-Core i5-2400 (Used) No Problems So Far)
RAM = 8GB (Used) (No Problems So Far)
Monitor = HP 1600x900 60Hz (Used) (No Problems So Far)

Solution
Do you have a friend or family member who would let you test your card in their computer?

The only other thing I can suggest is a clean install of the graphic drivers. First remove the old drivers with DDU http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html scroll down a bit for the download sites. Best to run it in safe mode. Then once the drivers are gone, go to the NVidia download page and enter your card and OS details and install the recommended driver and see if that helps.
Do you have a friend or family member who would let you test your card in their computer?

The only other thing I can suggest is a clean install of the graphic drivers. First remove the old drivers with DDU http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html scroll down a bit for the download sites. Best to run it in safe mode. Then once the drivers are gone, go to the NVidia download page and enter your card and OS details and install the recommended driver and see if that helps.

Solution

R0GG

Distinguished
_ Don't think your PCIe slot is faulty, easiest way to test it is to attach a hardware to it and / or check your biios for PCIe and gpu information ( some motherboards report that information in the Bios and the PCIe link speed as well)
_ Your Graphic card is probably overheating, you could try improve case airflow in the immediate surrounding of the graphic card bump up card fan speed and even keep your case side panels off for few days to rule overheating.
- Also make sure card sitting well in it's PCIe slot ( reseat it for more assurance) and horizontally flush with it with no sagging, power connectors adequately attached and it's fan spinning.
-At times I get red or green artifact on one of monitors just by wiggling a bit the HDMI cable at the GPU end: I would advise making sure display cable end by GPU is coming out straight and strain-free for a good portion of the initial cable

Apr 14, 2018

Should I preform this with or without the GPU installed? It might be a pain to use a GPU that is prone to screwing over the monitors feed.

Apr 14, 2018

I reseated the GPU and the same stuff happens. I have a high speed fan blowing directly into the case (With the side panel off of course) and PSI AfterBurner set on auto. The temp settles around 60C to 69C on high quality games. I think it's damaged for good. Could heat have caused this?

You would keep the GPU in. The other thing you could try is booting in safemode to start with, if it still gives problems then it's not the drivers but a hardware problem instead. Apart from either testing another card in your PC or testing your card in a different PC, it's impossible to say which bit of hardware is the problem.

Apr 14, 2018

I'll try out the link you provided. I'll message back when I'm done.

Apr 14, 2018

I did the "Clean then Restart" without safe mode on (I had forgotten) and the computer restarted. Now my GPU's name is "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter". It can play a source game on lowest possible settings with about 2 FPS. I'll try to download the driver now.

Apr 14, 2018
It's fixed! Thank you guys SO much! I'm so glad I didn't have to save another $300 to get this power! I uninstalled the drivers with the "Clean and Restart" option with DDU and then updated the GPU through Windows 10 update settings. Thank you guys so much again, this has convinced me to use Tom's Hardware much more!

You're welcome, I like to think some of here know what we are talking about :)