GPU or PSU broken?

tom.wag10

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017
Okay before I begin, this is a follow up from my last thread: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3522630/graphics-card-resurrected.html

(To sum that up, my GPU crashed my PC and I thought it was something to do with malware)

Right okay, so following yesterdays incident where my GPU crashed my whole PC and then suddenly started to work after 4 restarts or so later, it has crashed today.. twice. Screen went blank but i could still move mouse on my onboard graphics based monitor and then fully crashed. Restarted my PC 2 times and the GPU display worked. 10 minutes later it crashed again and now I can't use my GPU display at all!

My Mobo's BIOS and even all my software except for evga precision X recognises my GPU but it still isn't working! Do you guys think it is my PSU not powering enough to the GPU or do you think my GPU is actually broken?

GPU: EVGA GTX 960 (around 2 yrs old)
PSU: Corsair 550 W (also around 2 yrs old)
MOBO: Asus z-720 gaming

Sedivy

Estimable
Did you actually get something to monitor the system performance like hwmonitor or hwinfo? See if the temps were off the charts and you were stressing the card?

It could be your psu, it could also be your gpu and it could be something about your drivers. With repeated crashes, it does make it more likely it's a hardware issue but it's hard to say like this.

tom.wag10

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017

Yeah I have CAM and precision X, precision X doesn't recognise my GPU so I can't use it but CAM says 0% fan speed and 0% usage on my GPU, I've ordered a brand new GPU and PSU to use anyway so hopefully they both work, only time will tell :(

tom.wag10

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017

GPU is still currently installed into my PC, being recognised, just not working so I'm using onboard graphics currently and no crashes :/

Sedivy

Estimable
If you have on board working, you can try completely uninstalling video drivers with DDU and doing clean reinstall of the latest version.
You can take out the gpu and try putting it into another computer to see if it functions there ok so that you can tell if it's your psu or gpu that's the issue.
You can take both in for testing to a repair shop. Since you've ordered replacements, this is a moot point.
What were the temps like on the card before it crapped out?

tom.wag10

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017
So my graphics card actually just bootesd so I just tried running a game and while it opened my GPU temp went straight up to 65 degress and then when i clicked the game once loaded my pc crashed.. GPU is no longer working again

Sedivy

Estimable
Ok. If you still have the hwmonitor open, what was the maximum rpm for the gpu fans it hit? It'll have 3 columns, current min and max. What was the max rpm it went to? Oh..wait no it crashed. Crap. Er..hum. Ok if you get it working again, before you jump straight into a game, just open side panel, look underneath and check whether gpu fans are spinning.

tom.wag10

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017

It said my load was around 70% so I'm assuming fans were spinning however I should've checked i'm so stupid :eek:

TRENDING THREADS