taramisu

Commendable
Jun 10, 2019
Specs and purchase dates:
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P motherboard (June 2019)
Evga 750 watt power supply (June 2019)
AMD FX-8350 Black (June 2019)
16 GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (January 2021)
Nvidia GTX 970 (January 2015)
Cooler Master HAF 932 case (March 2013)
Windows 10

A few days ago my computer suddenly shut off while playing a game, and when I turned it back on I had no display. I had normal bios sounds and all the fans but the GPU fans turned on, but the monitor either went to black after showing the BIOS screen, didn't display anything at all, or said no signal. I did a number of troubleshoots (switched the monitor cables, changed the ram into different slots, changed it to my old 8GB of ram, cleaned all the dust out of the case, replaced the thermal paste on the CPU and used compressed air on the heatsink) to no avail. Finally, I did a clean install of Windows 7 from a disk (then upgraded to windows 10 from there) and thought the issue was resolved. However, when I installed the GPU drivers, the screen went black again. I used the system restore point, tried installing them in safe mode, and had the same problem. Currently using the computer with no GPU drivers.

Does this sound like a power supply issue or a GPU issue?

Thanks in advance

taramisu

Commendable
Jun 10, 2019
Probably the GPU but also the motherboard is struggling with a powerhog like a FX8350. The VRM must be really hot.
And you bought CPU and motherboard in 2019 new? Hopefully not!

I originally bought it in 2013 when I first built this PC, but the PC died in 2019. I thought it was a power supply issue and replaced the power supply, then when that didn't work figured it was a CPU issue and bought the same CPU (cos it was cheap and I was broke and I needed something to fit the AM3+ socket), and it turned out it was a motherboard issue, but I was out of money at that point. A friend took pity on me and bought me the motherboard as a late birthday present lol. But yes, it definitely is a power hog and runs hot. In hindsight, I wish I had saved up a bit more in 2013 and gone with an Intel build, but here we are.

TRENDING THREADS