Question GPU or PSU problem??

JordanW14

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
Alright here is my problem, I recently purchased a graphics card to upgrade from my old graphics card (gtx 960 2gb SSC) I bought it used on amazon (Gtx 1060 6gb SSC) and after 1 month use it just doesn’t work.
One day I was watching Netflix and my monitor just shuts off along with the sound to my separate speakers. I was puzzled and wanted to check out what was wrong. My graphics card light wasn’t on and so I opened up my case and made sure the socket wasn’t loose or anything. I even pulled it out of the socket and back in and pulled the pci cable out and back in. When I did that I pressed the power button and the light flickered for a second and I was just wondering if this is a PSU problem or an actual graphics card problem. I put in my old graphics card and it works for the time being but maybe the power supply is just not giving enough power to the new one. I’m not sure what to do please help thank you so much!

JordanW14

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
Mother board: GIGABYTE GA-H110M-A
CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 Skylake Quad-Core 2.7 GHz
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400
Gpu: gtx 1060 6gb but right now using the gtx 960 2gb
PSU: Ultra LSP650 Watts (btw 10 year old PSU)
1 TB hard drive
2tb hard drive

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Being 10 years old, it's almost definitely the PSU, but it wouldn't hurt trying the GPU in another system anyway.

Very true. Especially since a dying PSU can fry various components of the build.

Edit: if this is an older build, while you have it all apart, you might consider a new application of thermal paste. That can reduce the tendency to overheat and the stuff doesn't last forever.

Edit of the edit: And if you spring for a new psu make sure you remove EVERY psu cable from the previous build. Modular cables from one psu in another psu are often a recipe for disaster. You can keep the SATA data cables. But SATA power cables, cpu power, mobo power, gpu power, those cables all gotta go. They stay with the psu that they originally shipped with.

Greg N

JordanW14

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
If possible try your 1060 in another pc to see if it still works, i take it there is no warranty on that 1060?

I had the same happen to me with my r9 280x
I tried it with my friends pc and at first when we first installed the gpu into his the lights didn’t turn it on and the fans weren’t spinning but when we plugged it out and in with another pci cable the light turned on but no video output. Then when we turned it off and turned it on it worked. I’m not sure what went wrong but I already ordered a new psu so I think it’ll do the trick.