[SOLVED] GPU or PSU problem ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sledx1

Commendable
Dec 8, 2018
I’ve been having problems lately, including blue screens of death, monitor no signal errors, randomly pc just shutting off and so on. This time though my computer just shut off and when I turned it back on the gpus weren’t working. I tried replugging the power to them but that shut off the pc too. It seems every time I plug the gpu into the psu it shuts off the pc. I could really use some help. Everything else works fine and lights up.
Specs:
Gpu: two 1080 fe (not sli)
Cpu: i7-9700k
Ram: 32 gb g.skill 3200 mhz
PSU: 750 watt evga gold
Mobo: z390 msi
Cooling was working fine, but my gpus always run hot ?

Solution
Idk how to get into the bios with integrated graphics because the monitor won’t turn on when plugged into mobo.
Remove both gpu's , reset motherboard BIOS and connect monitor to the motherboard.
And the result is the same with both gpu's in single configuration?

It seems every time I plug the gpu into the psu it shuts off the pc.
Sounds like a faulty gpu.

Lutfij

Titan
EVGA is the brand of the PSU, while 750W is the wattage and Gold is it's 80+efficiency rating, it doesn't state the model of the PSU. EVGA have been known to have PSU's that are hit or miss in the quality department, even for their high end units in their portfolio. As for your setup, you're supposed to be on a PSU with a little more wattage than the system needs so you have headroom, ideally you should've been on a 850W unit for that dual GPU setup.

At this point, you're advised to source a donor PSU which is reliably built, sourced from a friend or neighbor who owns an 850W unit to rule out your PSU being faulty/failing. You might want to also see if the motherboard is pending any BIOS updates. If you have a number of updates to get past, to reach the latest version, gradually work your way to the latest.

The other thing to note, how are the GPU's spaced out?

Reactions: dotas1

sledx1

Commendable
Dec 8, 2018
EVGA is the brand of the PSU, while 750W is the wattage and Gold is it's 80+efficiency rating, it doesn't state the model of the PSU. EVGA have been known to have PSU's that are hit or miss in the quality department, even for their high end units in their portfolio. As for your setup, you're supposed to be on a PSU with a little more wattage than the system needs so you have headroom, ideally you should've been on a 850W unit for that dual GPU setup.

At this point, you're advised to source a donor PSU which is reliably built, sourced from a friend or neighbor who owns an 850W unit to rule out your PSU being faulty/failing. You might want to also see if the motherboard is pending any BIOS updates. If you have a number of updates to get past, to reach the latest version, gradually work your way to the latest.

The other thing to note, how are the GPU's spaced out?
There was not really a lot of room for me to space them out so like about a 2-3 inch difference without the cards, and about a 1-2 inch difference with the cards. Idk how to get into the bios with integrated graphics because the monitor won’t turn on when plugged into mobo.

Idk how to get into the bios with integrated graphics because the monitor won’t turn on when plugged into mobo.
Remove both gpu's , reset motherboard BIOS and connect monitor to the motherboard.
And the result is the same with both gpu's in single configuration?

It seems every time I plug the gpu into the psu it shuts off the pc.
Sounds like a faulty gpu.

Solution

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
SLI is super flaky, and even if everything in your PC is working perfectly, SLI alone still causes bluescreens and crashes etc.

The 1080 was a hot card to begin with, and cramming two in right next to each other is only going to heat things up even more.

Run with one card for a while and uninstall the SLI drivers and replace them with the normal drivers. I would be surprised if this does not resolve your issue.

Once you've confirmed its SLI causing the problems you can sell one of the GPUs and take advantage of the super high prices for used GPUs at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS