GPU ouput and Mother board output usage difference???

basha11

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2013
I know its a basic & simple question, but i want to know clearly & be sure about it.
my Mother board has HDMI output and my monitor too had it.
my gpu has mini HDMI,DVI outputs...
If i use MB's HDMI to my monitor, will GPU performance available in my system???
I mean when i play games or do graphics related things, is my GPU involve with CPU for better performance????

presently im using gpu's dvi and now i want to use Mother Boards HDMI...
So, please clarify me about it....

If you use MoBo's HDMI slot, you'll be using onboard graphics not dedicated. In simple terms, if you connect the monitor to GPU, then the card will be used for graphics, with MoBo's slot, the iGPU (not the card, the integrated on-die GPU of CPU) will be used, which's not good for gaming. Continue using the GPU's DVI, unless you want audio from monitor (if it has built in speakers), what specific model of GPU are we talking about?

basha11

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2013
hi guys,
my gpu is Zotac Nvidia GTX 650 ti 1gb ddr5 which has 2 dvi's as well as 1 mini hdmi too...
can anybody expalin difference b/w mini hdmi and hdmi???

There's essentially no difference but size, since I assume you don't have a 2k or 4k monitor, a mini-HDMI cable will do just fine, as well as a regular HDMI. Its about connectors and its specs, you need a HDMI to mini-HDMI cable though, but they're quite common. But does your monitor have inbuilt speakers?

yep, the name says it all. Both carry video and sound too.

NOTE: Monitors with built in speakers often don't accept audio through the HDMI, they tend to put in a microphone input at the back for that, which I think is a pointless act on a manufacturers part. Manufacturers do this in case you want to use the speakers for other non-HDMI sources.

standard HDMI limits refresh rate to 60Hz, DVI optimises 120/144Hz screens. HDMI 1.4b can support 120Hz, but isn't as such adopted to the computing world. HDMI limits 4k res @ 30Hz, but when 120Hz 4k screens are used with HDMI, this is only 120Hz when @ 1080p res, which HDMI does not support to start with. This may not be on task but meh, for fun.

basha11

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2013
my monitor doesn't have inbuilt speakers but hav a speakers jack which can use for headphones.
Question has gone to some other point....
so, by prev suggestions, all of u saying dat there is no use of GPU in performance as well as in games when i use onboards output?????
it means no gpu will detect when i use onboard output????