Question Gpu overclock and safety

marecar02

Reputable
Dec 17, 2017
I ve got gtx 1050ti and it doesn’t need any power from PSU so it runs only with power from motherboard.
I heard that ,that can cause problems with overclocking,so my question is : Can I stick in my x6 connectors in the gpu so I can get additional power from PSU so I can overclock safely?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There are 1050Tis came with an additional power connectors(usually factory overclocked models), then you should use it, the manufacturers put it there for a reason.
If your card has an additional connector, 6 or 8 pin, then use the appropriate connector. The extra connector is for the cooler and for the factory OC.
What problems exactly? There's no real need to overclock it, it boosts on it's own via Gpu Boost 3.
Unfortunately, this feature is overly sensitive to temps and will only maintain max speed below a certain temperature - 60C, even though it runs fine at 80C - after which it doesn't boost as high.

marecar02

Reputable
Dec 17, 2017
There are 1050Tis came with an additional power connectors(usually factory overclocked models), then you should use it, the manufacturers put it there for a reason.
If your card has an additional connector, 6 or 8 pin, then use the appropriate connector. The extra connector is for the cooler and for the factory OC.
What problems exactly? There's no real need to overclock it, it boosts on it's own via Gpu Boost 3.
Unfortunately, this feature is overly sensitive to temps and will only maintain max speed below a certain temperature - 60C, even though it runs fine at 80C - after which it doesn't boost as high.
Sorry I was wrong. It does not have any additional connectors. It runs only on motherboard and its OC version. So I shouldnt try overclocking it right?

You can overclock any GPU, as long as your don't push the limits of the GPU and Mem core clock speeds. Even though your card doesn't require any external PCI-e connector, you should still be able to OC it. Though, others can correct me if I'm wrong.

You need to OC in small increments first, and check for the system/GPU stability..

Try not to increase the frequency higher than 5% on both the core and memory clocks. Example: suppose if your card runs at 1500 MHz, then you shouldn't increase the frequency any higher than 25-50 MHz. If the system is showing artifacts, polygons, and/or it freezes, then you need to dial down the speed in small increments, like e.g. 25 MHz.

Start with 25MHz. You need to observe at which frequency the GPU gives you a stable result. OC can be risky, if done incorrectly, so be very careful when overclocking.

For the system stability, you need to look for artifacts, polygons, or a system FREEZE/hang after applying the overclocking settings. If you don't observe any of these, then you are safe.

Voltage and heat are the things you want to watch out for. Only increase voltage if your temperature values are safe at FULL load. All components have different voltage tolerances.Voltage increases always should be tiny.

The basics of overclocking:
  • Increase Mhz
  • Test (Prime95 or Heaven, or any other benchmark for ~5-10 mins)
  • Repeat until it fails.
  • Lower Mhz OR increase voltage
  • Repeat.
Once you have your maximum stable core overclock figured out, you can do the same for the Memory. Now, memory OC's generally don't provide that much FPS gains, so it's up to you if you even want to tweak this setting as well. You use the exact same process as your CORE overclock, and take it as high as you can.

Move the Core slider up 25-50 Mhz. Run Heaven for 5-10 mins, watch your temps, etc. It's the same as CPU overclocking. Once you get a driver crash, system freeze, or see visual anomalies, then dial it back to 10-20 Mhz, and then try again.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry I was wrong. It does not have any additional connectors. It runs only on motherboard and its OC version. So I shouldnt try overclocking it right?
You still can, nothing wrong with trying it out - just don't expect much available headroom.
The card normally draws about 60w. 75w is the total available power from the motherboard.
Your card is already factory overclocked, so it either draws 75w already, or it's close to it.
Either way, don't expect too much more from it.

marecar02

Reputable
Dec 17, 2017
You can overclock any GPU, as along as your don't push the limits of the GPU and Mem core clock speeds. Even though your card doesn't require any external PCI-e connector, you should still be able to OC it. Though, others can correct me if I'm wrong.

You need to OC in small increments first, and check for the system/GPU stability..

Try not to increase the frequency higher than 5% on both the core and memory clocks. Example: suppose if your card runs at 1500 MHz, then you shouldn't increase the frequency any higher than 25-50 MHz. If the system is showing artifacts, polygons, and/or it freezes, then you need to dial down the speed in small increments, like e.g. 25 MHz.

Start with 25MHz. You need to observe at which frequency the GPU gives you a stable result. OC can be risky, if done incorrectly, so be very careful when overclocking.

For the system stability, you need to look for artifacts, polygons, or a system FREEZE/hang after applying the overclocking settings. If you don't observe any of these, then you are safe.

Voltage and heat are the things you want to watch out for. Only increase voltage if your temperature values are safe at FULL load. All components have different voltage tolerances.Voltage increases always should be tiny.

The basics of overclocking:
  • Increase Mhz
  • Test (Prime95 or Heaven, or any other benchmark for ~5-10 mins)
  • Repeat until it fails.
  • Lower Mhz OR increase voltage
  • Repeat.
Once you have your maximum stable core overclock figured out, you can do the same for the Memory. Now, memory OC's generally don't provide that much FPS gains, so it's up to you if you even want to tweak this setting as well. You use the exact same process as your CORE overclock, and take it as high as you can.

Move the Core slider up 25-50 Mhz. Run Heaven for 5-10 mins, watch your temps, etc. It's the same as CPU overclocking. Once you get a driver crash, system freeze, or see visual anomalies, then dial it back to 10-20 Mhz, and then try again.
Thanks for this information but,I think ill leave it as it is because my CPU was bottlenecked by gpu and I overclocked my CPU so its fine now .I dont want to bottleneck it again even if Im wrong that slight FPS increase doesnt really mather that much.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Whoa now, gpu bottlenecking isn't really a thing.
Your max POSSIBLE fps is determined by the gpu(low, mid, or high tier).
Whether you can get close to, or maintain that maximum, is determined by the combination of cpu & ram.

Play your games - results will vary between titles, because no 2 games are coded the same - but drop all settings to low. Does fps go up?
If so, then that means your cpu can handle a stronger gpu.
If fps doesn't really change, then that means you need a stronger cpu.

What is your cpu, and what are the games in question?
What happens when you do the above between games?

marecar02

Reputable
Dec 17, 2017
Whoa now, gpu bottlenecking isn't really a thing.
Your max POSSIBLE fps is determined by the gpu(low, mid, or high tier).
Whether you can get close to, or maintain that maximum, is determined by the combination of cpu & ram.

Play your games - results will vary between titles, because no 2 games are coded the same - but drop all settings to low. Does fps go up?
If so, then that means your cpu can handle a stronger gpu.
If fps doesn't really change, then that means you need a stronger cpu.

What is your cpu, and what are the games in question?
What happens when you do the above between games?
I wanted to play Dishonored 2 but with this CPU I doubt it :7
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055t (overclocked to 3.4ghz)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok. Play that game at either medium or high graphics and take note of your fps(lowest, highest, and average)
Now do the same thing, but on the lowest settings. What happens to your fps then?
If fps improves, your cpu can handle a stronger gpu, but if not, then it's the cpu that needs an upgrade.

marecar02

Reputable
Dec 17, 2017
Ok. Play that game at either medium or high graphics and take note of your fps(lowest, highest, and average)
Now do the same thing, but on the lowest settings. What happens to your fps then?
If fps improves, your cpu can handle a stronger gpu, but if not, then it's the cpu that needs an upgrade.
Dishonored 2 was a bad game to benchmark it but here it is:
All very low 65-70 fps
All medium 55-60 fps (sometimes 30)
All ultra +HBO+ on: 30-35 fps
Fps sometimes drops hard,but I think thats the game’s fault because other players noticed it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You can do the same thing with your other games, but it looks to me that your current cpu is still okay for Dishonored 2, but it could do with a stronger gpu.

But if it's a bad PC port, of which there are quite a number of, then even a high end setup would have trouble playing it smoothly - it would be better, but not mindblowingly so.