[SOLVED] GPU overclock damage?

Apr 7, 2023
Is it possible to damage my GPU (3070 Ti Max-Q) through increasing its clocks, but not changing the voltage? I tried before and got a BSOD, so I'm not sure of any potential damage. I used MSI Afterburner for it.

Solution
Is it possible to damage my GPU (3070 Ti Max-Q) through increasing its clocks, but not changing the voltage? I tried before and got a BSOD, so I'm not sure of any potential damage. I used MSI Afterburner for it.

Max-Q, so in a laptop. Those are power limited typically as they are meant for thin and light. I don't recommend messing with it, you will not gain any performance anyways due to both thermal and power limitations. It's not likely you will damage anything but there is a greater than zero chance. And if you do you are out an entire laptop, not just a GPU.
If you do that enough, yes. A few times, probably not. Also, depends on how much past the point of initial instability you go. The BSOD simply means you found the point in which the GPU became unstable. While technically speaking you shouldn't go there, people do it all the time and continue to use their GPU just the same. But, like I said, you do that too many times and you will see that point become reduced and your GPU will not run as fast or stable as it once did.

Max-Q, so in a laptop. Those are power limited typically as they are meant for thin and light. I don't recommend messing with it, you will not gain any performance anyways due to both thermal and power limitations. It's not likely you will damage anything but there is a greater than zero chance. And if you do you are out an entire laptop, not just a GPU.

Solution
Apr 7, 2023
Oh ok, thanks