[SOLVED] GPU Overclock has become unstable after 8 months!?

zyblume

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018
Hey guys.
I've got a Gigabyte 1080 Gaming G1 and it has been overclocked with the following settings for 8 months and running completely stable.
The rest of my setup is -

i5-4670k 4.3ghz
Asus Z87-K Mobo
Coolermaster B600 PSU
16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600ghz DDR3 ram
Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD

A couple of days ago, my games started crashing.
I then booted up Heaven benchmark and it crashed after like 10 sec.
Then I tried with Firestrike and it also crashed after a couple of minutes.
I have tried turning my OC completely off and then it doesn't crash anymore, it just sucks to have a card that can't be OC anymore.
Do you guys have ANY idea what could cause this?

ALL input is appreciated <3

Link to my OC settings
https://imgur.com/a/H004obA

Solution
Professional cleaning... Doubt it's anything special. I clean mine every 4-6 months. Depending on your house/are you live/pets, it can get very dusty. Although that shouldn't crash your GPU. But it doesn't help.

There is also luck of product when talking about cpu/GPU. Or as it's said... Silicone lottery.

Another thing is that it's become very common for manufacturers to overclock their cards before they get into your hands to make them more appealing when you're comparing them to another manufacturer, after that you push it a little more... And you have a recipe.

Curious, what did you set your core v to on your Overclock?

Yes there are hardware monitors that show voltages on power supply. But most efficient way is with a...
Overclocking GPU will cut it's lifespan. CPUs are quite a bit tougher and can take an overclock much better without any significant cuts to longetivity.

Stress/heat and use will also hurt the performance of the card.

For now, make sure to clean the dust out of the card. Maybe try older drivers to see if an update has made it unstable. Update your bios on the motherboard. See that your power supply is putting out proper voltage (which one do you have?).

zyblume

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018
Thanks for your reply.
I've tried different drivers for the gpu and I've got the newest bios for my motherboard.

I have a Cooler Master B600, the first version. I'll try to see how much voltage it's supplying, when I get home.
That's in HWMonitor, right?
It doesn't seem to be that dusty inside, I had it professionally cleaned 8 months ago ish.

Just seems crazy that it's been that damaged after only 8 months though. My old 770 was overclocked for over 3 years with no problem.

Professional cleaning... Doubt it's anything special. I clean mine every 4-6 months. Depending on your house/are you live/pets, it can get very dusty. Although that shouldn't crash your GPU. But it doesn't help.

There is also luck of product when talking about cpu/GPU. Or as it's said... Silicone lottery.

Another thing is that it's become very common for manufacturers to overclock their cards before they get into your hands to make them more appealing when you're comparing them to another manufacturer, after that you push it a little more... And you have a recipe.

Curious, what did you set your core v to on your Overclock?

Yes there are hardware monitors that show voltages on power supply. But most efficient way is with a multimeter, but that takes a little more experience. Reason to test is that power supply failure also leads to GPU problems, which tend to show earlier. Which also leads me to say this, knowing that voltages are in spec is good, but we can't measure amp output... So checking voltages will only give you half of the answer. From what I remember your b600 is mid tier PSU.

I forgot to ask. What led you to check GPU overclock? I know you haven't had crashes since... But just wondering how you got to it.

Also, just in case. Run memtest a few times in a row.

Solution