[SOLVED] GPU overclock very unstable in MSI vs in ASUS GPUTweakII using same offsets/values

ChadderCheez

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
A buddy of mine told me MSI Afterburner was better/more stable than GPUTweakII and I'm really not seeing it. I had my core clock on my 1050ti in GPUTweak at 1543 or something around there, and I had my memory overclock at +600, so 4103mhz compared to the base clock of 3503. I DDU'd my drivers after finding out I couldnt OC my memory past +290 in MSI and uninstalling GPUTweak, still can't reach over +290 but I mean I guess it doesnt matter anyway though. Because now, I can't overclock my GPU's memory over +100 which sucks. I see people with the exact same card as me overclocking their memory as far as MSI will allow +1000, with their curve maxing core clock at 1911mhz etc, and it makes me even wonder if its worth overclocking the card at this point. I don't know if MSI screwed me over or if I got super unlucky and the mem in the card just can't handle an overclock and GPUTweak was just lying to me about what it was doing.

Another thing that I find interesting/worth pointing out: I can tell MSI to overclock my memory to X value and set my curve to max at like 2004 or something like that and have it run amazingly smooth in Heaven Benchmark 4.0, able to use google and what not and have the system up for what I can tell indefinitely or until it turns off, but I can't launch any games or it will crash.

System specs:
Ryzen 3 1300x OC 4.0ghz
16gb DDR4 2133mhz
Gigabyte 1050ti 4gb
EVGA 600B 600 W BR 80+
ASUS ROG Strix B350 F Gaming

Solution
A couple things here.

- I'd be uneasy under any circumstances trying to overclock aggressively on what is a fairly low quality power supply anyway.

- You'd probably get more of a benefit having appropriate Ryzen RAM than overclocking a 1050 Ti. Ryzen, especially first-generation Ryzen, begs for fast RAM in a way contemporary Intel CPUs don't (Infinity Fabric) and you've got pretty much the slowest RAM out there. It's generally considered a mistake to recommend RAM for any Ryzen build that's slower than 3000 MHz.

zx128k

Reputable
A buddy of mine told me MSI Afterburner was better/more stable than GPUTweakII and I'm really not seeing it. I had my core clock on my 1050ti in GPUTweak at 1543 or something around there, and I had my memory overclock at +600, so 4103mhz compared to the base clock of 3503. I DDU'd my drivers after finding out I couldnt OC my memory past +290 in MSI and uninstalling GPUTweak, still can't reach over +290 but I mean I guess it doesnt matter anyway though. Because now, I can't overclock my GPU's memory over +100 which sucks. I see people with the exact same card as me overclocking their memory as far as MSI will allow +1000, with their curve maxing core clock at 1911mhz etc, and it makes me even wonder if its worth overclocking the card at this point. I don't know if MSI screwed me over or if I got super unlucky and the mem in the card just can't handle an overclock and GPUTweak was just lying to me about what it was doing.

Another thing that I find interesting/worth pointing out: I can tell MSI to overclock my memory to X value and set my curve to max at like 2004 or something like that and have it run amazingly smooth in Heaven Benchmark 4.0, able to use google and what not and have the system up for what I can tell indefinitely or until it turns off, but I can't launch any games or it will crash.

System specs:
Ryzen 3 1300x OC 4.0ghz
16gb DDR4 2133mhz
Gigabyte 1050ti 4gb
EVGA 600B 600 W BR 80+
ASUS ROG Strix B350 F Gaming

Memory overclocks can be stable in one load but not in another which makes them harder to dial in. I have a 2080 and I am not 100% stable with +1000 to my vRAM. In some loads I can run the vRAM @ +1100. RTX/DLSS games don't like +1000 on my cards vRAM and will only be stable at approx. +900.

Hopefully you don't have a 1050ti limited to 75 watts. With overclocking you just play the odds and hope to get lucky.

ChadderCheez

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
Memory overclocks can be stable in one load but not in another which makes them harder to dial in. I have a 2080 and I am not 100% stable with +1000 to my vRAM. In some loads I can run the vRAM @ +1100. RTX/DLSS games don't like +1000 on my cards vRAM and will only be stable at approx. +900.

Hopefully you don't have a 1050ti limited to 75 watts. With overclocking you just play the odds and hope to get lucky.

Yeah, its just weird to me though. I've restarted my PC probably 60 or 70 times trying to get the best settings I could, getting good settings for my ram too because theyre miss matched sets etc, and havent been able to go over +290 like I said. I even reinstalled GPUTweakII to see if it was just that program, and it crashes my GPU now so I have to reset it. Like honestly I'm lost. But on the bright side, I can achieve a higher core clock than was previously achieved in GPU tweak.

(Sorry for the super late reply I forgot that I made this forum and have been working)

ChadderCheez

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
Yeah, its just weird to me though. I've restarted my PC probably 60 or 70 times trying to get the best settings I could, getting good settings for my ram too because theyre miss matched sets etc, and havent been able to go over +290 like I said. I even reinstalled GPUTweakII to see if it was just that program, and it crashes my GPU now so I have to reset it. Like honestly I'm lost. But on the bright side, I can achieve a higher core clock than was previously achieved in GPU tweak.

(Sorry for the super late reply I forgot that I made this forum and have been working)
I just checked, the card is 75w limited.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
A couple things here.

- I'd be uneasy under any circumstances trying to overclock aggressively on what is a fairly low quality power supply anyway.

- You'd probably get more of a benefit having appropriate Ryzen RAM than overclocking a 1050 Ti. Ryzen, especially first-generation Ryzen, begs for fast RAM in a way contemporary Intel CPUs don't (Infinity Fabric) and you've got pretty much the slowest RAM out there. It's generally considered a mistake to recommend RAM for any Ryzen build that's slower than 3000 MHz.

Solution