Gpu overheating after applying new thermal paste.

tristan_vidal888

Reputable
Jul 13, 2018
so my gpu lately has been restarting when hitting a certain temp, it hits about 85-98-100 while gaming on games such as fortnite, warframe and games like that. i recently cleaned the gpu fan and applied new thermal paste and its still over heating a lot. its a amd r7 250 gpu. shits old and poopy but its all i got atm. any help would be nice cause its been making me unable to game anymore due to over heats and restarts. gpu is not overclocked and i put everything back the way it was after i took the gpu out.

tristan_vidal888

Reputable
Jul 13, 2018

Yes its a single fan model, fan is running i just dusted and cleaned it. im not sure why it would be running so hot it used to be fine. i scanned for virsuses just now and found nothing either. i noticed the fan wasnt running as well as it should be so i ordered a new fan but got a size too small so ill have to order another. hopefully that fixes it if anything lol.

Was it running hot before you replaced the thermal paste? I assume it was. However, I do ask because it is possible the cooler is no longer making good contact with the GPU, or you simply used too little paste......the saying "the less you use the better" for thermal paste only holds true to a point, at which point using too much is better than too little.

tristan_vidal888

Reputable
Jul 13, 2018

there was a lot more thermal paste on it when i first took off the heatsink to see the gpu. now i only have a light coat on the top of it. before it wasnt heating up as much with more thermal paste on it so i might try and put more on again.

tristan_vidal888

Reputable
Jul 13, 2018

i let it spread like the cpu. it had a lot on there when i first took it off, its different for gpus? like i should put more on there? atm theres just a light coat of thermal paste on the surface of the gpu card. and yes i seated the heatsink back exactly as it was originally.

tristan_vidal888

Reputable
Jul 13, 2018

i took it out and threw a good chunk on there seems to be sitting at around 86 degrees on a game so far.