Gpu overheating after few months of usage

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
I won a sapphire r7 260x 2gb version..Got it in the month of march..I also have a custom fan profile with msi ab i wihch i've set the fan to reach fullspeed once the card hits 80 c..Till july the card would top at 80 c..Now with the same games the card is reaching 85 c..I live in india,chennai..Previously when the card used to top out at 80 c the temp here was 40 c..now the temp outside is only 34 and the card is running 5 c hotter...What would be the reason for this?..will the cards run hotter as it gets older..Ran furmark at 1080 with 2xmsaa for 40 mins(topped at 93 c and stayed there)..Just wondering what it would be like in april/may..Should i complain to sapphire about this?...And there is no problem with cables in my cabinet and everything is absolutely clean...

i dont think its a cards fault the reason is high ambient temperature the amd cards are usually hotter than the nvidia but the main reason is either the room temp is too high and the case airflow is not proper so its bet to keep your pc in a ac room and always turn on the ac while playing the game you will notice a big change in temp with that and the card should be hotter than the ambient temp because if the card is cooler than the room temp then water droplets will form on it which is way bad......

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Unfortunately i don't have an air conditioned room...Am pretty sure the ambient temp is lower than what it was when the card used to top at 80 c..Everythin in case is as clean as it used to be..My question is if its normal for a card to have higher temps after a perod of usage..?

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
No..When environment was at 40 c the max was 80 c on the card..Now its 34 c outside and the card is hitting 86 c with the same game...idle temps are normal as it used to be...i have the fan running at 100% speed...

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Its not a great case to be honest..But i've been using the same case since i bought the gpu...I don't want to change the case and decrease..My doubt is what would be the reason for the increase in temp...would it be the thermal paste in the gpu..?

yea it may be the thermal paste but the chances are slim for that generally a gaming case should have 1 front intake fan 1 top exhaust 1 rear exhaust and 1 side exhaust for the card.....open the sidepannel of the case and put a high speed table fan blowing air to the gpu.......it will help in lowering the temps...

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

12v voltage is same as before...Drops to 11.6..it has been the same since i bought the pc...Now can we confirm its a problem with the gpu...Because everythng else is same...

JRFET

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
11.6v isn't that great.....did you check that with a multimeter on 4 pin molex?? and is that under load assuming? need to see what its doing on idle too/how much of a drop etc....but i don't even like it being that low at all....

my old delta would get about that low even seen like 11.5v a few times and there was noticeable tendency for everything to be running hotter....and toward end everything was just running pretty bad...some intermittent things like it would not boot etc/restarts/freezing.

dropped in my new evga 600b haven't seen below 12.2v idle or loaded.... drop of 10-15c too after this....that's pretty significant....
running hell of a lot better also.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
No i understand all that..I've checked all these as soon as i built my pc..My 12v was dropping to 11.6 since i bought the psu,i know that's not greaT..But the problem is evrything is same still except for the change in gpu temp..What would be the reason...?..And the drop from idle is .3v,that too is the same from the time i bought the pc...Your point would be correct if there is a drop in voltage and increase in temperature..

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

same..5 months..bought all the components together..

Can i apply thermal paste myself..Would it not void the warranty...