GPU overheating after replacing thermal pads

Jun 16, 2018
Good Afternoon
Today i replaced my RX 480 G1 Gaming 4GB VRM thermal pads,since the original got degrated because
Hte6gdx.jpg
the isopropyl and the ones i place after were garbage,i bough ARCTIC themal pads that have a condutivity of 6 W/m K and 1.5mm thinkness,after i replace the thermal pads,i added some thermal paste and then i installed the fans but still,the gpu was overheating like before then thermal shutdown,i did not replace the 2 pads that were on the left because i was unsure wether they are good or bad but now after i replace the VRAM thermal pads,i am not able to start windows,i did have a profile on afterburner to lower the vram speed so that i could still use it for video playback,can i get some help,i am unsure what to replace now

Jun 16, 2018

I know they are VRAMS,i did say VRAMS not vrm though xD
They are 1.5mm think,im pretty sure they have contact enought to conduct heat but i dont think the memory ships are the problem,might windows be bugging this?

EDIT. oh you meant the gpu chip itself may not have contact,yeah i tried to run it,but for a brief moment,i did not think of that

sorry you said VRM at the top.

You need to understand if you are still making contact with the GPU.

Jun 16, 2018
btw thanks for the help,i miswrote VRAM WITH VRM,im using a very very slow laptop to write this and sometimes the keys dont work
i will check if the gpu is getting enought contact
i could "crush" them in order to make them less thick,might this work?

Jun 16, 2018
Oh,i did not start it without the heatsink,sorry i didnt explain it very well,i did mount it before i started it xD
so i tried crushing the thermal pads,and now it works,the gpu chip itself wasnt making enought contact with the copper heatsink,it still isn't though
although i did get past windows logo and now im able to boot
heres a print of the temperature,thank you,and sorry if i sound a bit rude,im not having the best day :p

https://pasteboard.co/HtevaPDe.png

To be blunt, you've brought this on yourself, did it have pads on before you started messing with it?If not then it shouldn't have pads, perhaps thermal tape? Those heights will be accurate to within fractions of a millimetre, something like 0.01, it is vital that you do not change the relative heights.

Jun 16, 2018

Yah i know man,in my town they don't sell the other heights,and i though 1.5mm was the right height,no info on the gigabyte website though,really no info relating the thermal pdas,the original pads were damaged when cleaning with the isopropyl,yeah so you can say i brough this on myself,but the manufactors should be more informative when it comes to what kind of thermal pads i should use...anyway,thank you,i will try to find what ere the correct height and buy some,much appreciated

oh and it did have pads before,i applied some that i had lying around here,they were 1mm think but overheated the gpu because they were only 1 w/m K

We see a lot of problems with people cleaning where they don't need to.

Jun 16, 2018
i already said,the pads that originally came with the card were damaged thanks to the isopropyl that i used to clean the gpu and applied thermal paste,that was 4 months ago,lol.