[SOLVED] GPU Overheating and shutting down.

marcusbarosanu

Honorable
Feb 3, 2018
Hello!
So about a month ago i bought a 2nd hand GPU a sapphire radeon nitro+ rx 580 8gb from a electronics store, ever since i bought it I've had overheating issues with it i personally never OC it, i did underclock to try and fix the issue but no luck, the RX 580 was a popular mining card so i believe that the previous owner used it for mining, i replaced the thermal paste 2 times it did not change a thing at this point i'm considering throwing it but before i do that i wanted to ask if there is a way to fix it?

Solution
test it in MSI Kombustor is a graphics card testing utility. Testing independently detects artifacts that can be found in the load. If you find artifacts, it is better to abandon the video card. It is not working properly and needs professional diagnostics.
ok so i took the whole GPU apart and thoroughly cleaned with isopropyl alcohol and applied fresh new thermal paste, reinstalled the AMD drivers and stress test it using the MSI Kombustor for 30 min the temperature never got over 75c plus the fans never got loud like it did before, for now it seems like my issue is fixed imma play some demanding game and stressed test it even more.

Alex Storm

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
Hello!
So about a month ago i bought a 2nd hand GPU a sapphire radeon nitro+ rx 580 8gb from a electronics store, ever since i bought it I've had overheating issues with it i personally never OC it, i did underclock to try and fix the issue but no luck, the RX 580 was a popular mining card so i believe that the previous owner used it for mining, i replaced the thermal paste 2 times it did not change a thing at this point i'm considering throwing it but before i do that i wanted to ask if there is a way to fix it?
What temperatures do you call overheating and in what tasks?

marcusbarosanu

Honorable
Feb 3, 2018
Try to make an undervolt in Adrenaline 2020 or MSI Afterburner
i tried doing that but now it does not hoverheat however my pc still shuts down, i lowerd it little by little while playing RDR2 to make sure its stable but no luck, i need to clarify this when my pc shuts down it does not really shut down but my screen goes black and fans on the GPU max out

Alex Storm

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
also i need to clarify that while playing the GPU does not overheat immediately it stays around 70 - 75c then after about 1 h of playing the screen goes black the fans max out
test it in MSI Kombustor is a graphics card testing utility. Testing independently detects artifacts that can be found in the load. If you find artifacts, it is better to abandon the video card. It is not working properly and needs professional diagnostics.

marcusbarosanu

Honorable
Feb 3, 2018
ok so i took the whole GPU apart and thoroughly cleaned with isopropyl alcohol and applied fresh new thermal paste, reinstalled the AMD drivers and stress test it using the MSI Kombustor for 30 min the temperature never got over 75c plus the fans never got loud like it did before, for now it seems like my issue is fixed imma play some demanding game and stressed test it even more.

Solution

Alex Storm

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
Congratulations

Reactions: marcusbarosanu