GPU Overheating, Brand new.

Mar 30, 2018
Brand new GPU is overheating and I don't know why. I don't know a whole lot about these kinds of things, only enough to actually put a pc together and very very basic troubleshooting, but don't know anything about going into BIOS and things like that. I have installed all the drivers and software I was supposed to for all my new hardware. Base temps stay about 32ºC, the games I have been playing should be able to run on Ultra with this card, like ARK Survival Evolved. Haven't tested much of anything else yet, I only got this card over a week ago. I'm not sure exactly what the temps are when things go awry but I think they get up to somewhere around 70ºC or higher and then the PC will just go black screen but not shut down, I have to then reset. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can troubleshoot to see if it's an error on my end or if the card is just bad I would be thankful. Also when I first installed the GPU I noticed one of the fans wasn't working, did a search and someone said to tap it to get it running again and that worked, but has left me testy about it ever since. I wasn't really happy with the software it came with, because it didn't seem to be using the fans right, so I downloaded afterburner and started using that to control the fan speeds.

Specs
64-bit Operating system x64-based processor

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz (PC4 19200) C16 Memory Kit - Black

Mobo: ASUS Ryzen AM4 DDR4 HDMI DVI-D VGA M.2 USB 3.1 PS/2 Micro-ATX Motherboard (PRIME A320M-A)

GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Dual-fan OC Edition VR Ready Dual HDMI DP 1.4 Gaming Graphics Card (DUAL-GTX1060-O6G)

PSU: Corsair CX Series 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply (CP-9020103-NA)

Case: DEEPCOOL TESSERACT SW Mid Tower Computer Case Blue LED Fans Side Window Standard ATX chassis

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM)

Monitor: LG 27UD58-B 27-Inch 4K UHD IPS Monitor with FreeSync
LG 27UD58-B 27-Inch 4K UHD IPS Monitor with FreeSync

Solution
That might be your graphics driver failing, Graphics cards can go to insane temperatures, most are rated for above 90. 70 is the general temperature for GPUs, it is good at that range. Edit the fan curve if you want, Ark running at 70 degrees is probably perfect.

That card is a bit on the hotter side, Nvidia states on most cards throttling will happen at 83 degrees, which means it will basically in simple terms slow way down to make less heat. The card will most likely turn off at around 93 degrees to prevent damage. But luckily, those chips can handle a lot of heat before breaking, the card has these things to save the card, try to go play a game or two and get the exact measurement when it goes black screen.

Saturnity

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017
That might be your graphics driver failing, Graphics cards can go to insane temperatures, most are rated for above 90. 70 is the general temperature for GPUs, it is good at that range. Edit the fan curve if you want, Ark running at 70 degrees is probably perfect.

That card is a bit on the hotter side, Nvidia states on most cards throttling will happen at 83 degrees, which means it will basically in simple terms slow way down to make less heat. The card will most likely turn off at around 93 degrees to prevent damage. But luckily, those chips can handle a lot of heat before breaking, the card has these things to save the card, try to go play a game or two and get the exact measurement when it goes black screen.

Solution
Mar 30, 2018

I am going to download an re-install all drivers and utilities for my hardware and play again keeping track of the temps then I will update.

mwryder55

Distinguished
I have a Zotac 1060 GTX 6 GB Mini, single fan, and it runs in the low 80's during the Heaven benchmark. I had problems similar to yours when I first got the card with it crashing in games and the Heaven benchmark. In my case it was the generic power supply. Using a better quality power supply totally fixed my problems. I don't know if you have access to another unit to see if that is the problem.

I own an EVGA GTX 1060 SC Gaming (single fan) and my temps were routinely in the 70s, without issue. If your CPU were over temp then it would be throttling, and if reached high enough, would reboot the system. If the northbridge or southbridge were overheating, caused by excess heat in your case, then it would eventually reboot your system. If your power supply were overvolt, it would shutdown your system. Even though the older Corsair CX models are mediocre quality, I doubt a 600 watt unit would have trouble with a 65 & 120 watt TDP parts, such as your CPU and GPU.

Was your storage reimaged with this GPU upgrade? I ask because I'm curious if there are remnants of previous drivers on your system. Regardless, please run DDU (Display Drivers Uninstaller), allow it to automatically reboot your system into safe mode, and then clear all install drivers. Then once it reboot into Windows normal mode, redownload the drivers directly from Nvidia and do a custom installation without GeForce Experience. Any change?

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1038
<click blue link> Official Download Here