[SOLVED] GPU overheating, can't figure out why. MSI GTX geforce 1060 3gb

Jan 3, 2020
Hello all,
Like the title says I cant figure out why my graphics card is overheating. It runs at a cool ~30° when idle, but spikes up to about 95° when I run any game. It's causing crazy frame rate drops and making gaming impossible. I reapplied thermal paste and even replaced the fan because the old one was squeaky but the issue persists.
Thanks for the help! Please don't tell me I need a new card or I'll cry!

Solution
Hello all,
Like the title says I cant figure out why my graphics card is overheating. It runs at a cool ~30° when idle, but spikes up to about 95° when I run any game. It's causing crazy frame rate drops and making gaming impossible. I reapplied thermal paste and even replaced the fan because the old one was squeaky but the issue persists.
The first thing I would do is shut down....open the case....blow something like a desk fan into the case from a few feet away, power up and see what your temps are. If they come down.....you need more case cooling.
Hello all,
The first thing I would do is shut down....open the case....blow something like a desk fan into the case from a few feet away, power up and see what your temps are. If they come down.....you need more case cooling.

Solution
Jan 3, 2020
Ah thanks for the recommendation, I didnt even think about that. I'll give it a try.