GPU overheating constantly

migronesien

Honorable
My GPUs (780ti SLI) are overheating the whole time. I do absolutely nothing and they hit 70-80c.
Gaming is pretty problematic, since they clock down a lot to maintain the 82c heat limit.
Did the same benchmark i did 2 years ago and lost over 50% or my GPU power.

Thing I've already tried:

-dust off case and cards, inside and outside
-replace thermal paste and pads of GPUs
-newest and older drivers
-seting up windows completely new
-running just one card at a time (tried it with both)

Nothing helps.

Is it possible that my cards are just done? Over the time?

Solution
I have never heard of a GPU degrading and causing high thermals for no reason, that doesn't really make sense. If the GPU is running hot it means that heat is not being dissipated away from the core properly, the only way a GPU can produce more heat is if it uses more power. So I don't see how temps could possibly increase do to degradation of the GPU core. Unless it is automatically applying more voltage to deal with degradation of the GPU core and keep the stock clocks stable, I dont think the 780 ti has that functionality however

Might be some kind of issue with your coolers. I don't know what else would cause this other than a cooling issue.

migronesien

Honorable

Forgot to add i tried open and closed case. And yea the fans are spinning properly.
But even if i manually set them to 100% the card stays at 82c. It's just louder then lol.

silverfeather

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017

oh my. well, in that case, i can only think that the time has come for you to get a new GPU, if theres another thing you could try, i dont know, sorry about that.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
I have never heard of a GPU degrading and causing high thermals for no reason, that doesn't really make sense. If the GPU is running hot it means that heat is not being dissipated away from the core properly, the only way a GPU can produce more heat is if it uses more power. So I don't see how temps could possibly increase do to degradation of the GPU core. Unless it is automatically applying more voltage to deal with degradation of the GPU core and keep the stock clocks stable, I dont think the 780 ti has that functionality however

Might be some kind of issue with your coolers. I don't know what else would cause this other than a cooling issue.

Solution