[SOLVED] GPU overheating due to being dusty ,is removing the fan safe ?

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
GPU - Zotac GTX 1650 SUPER

Hi ,
My previous cabinets' side panel was damaged due to which my pc case was open and a lot of dust had built up because of the ongoing construction on a empty plot next door

I tried blowing air with the vacuum cleaners blower which did help and the temps did go down while gaming but they are still hovering around 75 - 76 Celsius as only the outer dust is cleaned with the inside of the fan and heatsink still have dust

Can i open the fan from the four screws its connected to on the heatsink and safely remove the fans wire slot where its clipped in as i know removing heatsink requires reapplying thermal paste or pads but is removing fans safe with no additional after work required ?

Thanks and please let me know as the high temps are also downclocking the core frequencies as they rise up

Solution

Hi ,
My previous cabinets' side panel was damaged due to which my pc case was open and a lot of dust had built up because of the ongoing construction on a empty plot next door

I tried blowing air with the vacuum cleaners blower which did help and the temps did go down while gaming but they are still hovering around 75 - 76 Celsius as only the outer dust is cleaned with the inside of the fan and heatsink still have dust

Can i open the fan from the four screws its connected to on the heatsink and safely remove the fans wire slot where its clipped in as i know removing heatsink requires reapplying thermal paste or pads but is removing fans safe with no additional after work required ?

Thanks and please...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Hi ,

Thanks and please let me know as the high temps are also downclocking the core frequencies as they rise up
Their nothing wrong with 76C on a video card.
Get a can of compressed air, hold the fan still and blow the card out.

Solution