GPU overheating? EMERGENCY!

Xador

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Hello! I'm in an emergency right now, I think my GPU is overheating! :sweat: I'm having red dots in the black areas of the screen since yesterday when I was playing bad company 2! I haven't had any of these problems before! Please don't tell me I have to buy a new video card, these things are expensive.. Also, I've considered buying a new chassis, the dark fleet 10 or 35, but then I probably have to buy a new motherboard because it's only got 1 chassis fan "connector".

Please help me, is my video card overheating?

Also, here are some "specs"

The chassis is a standard hp pavilion, with 1 chassis fan only
Video card: XFX 6870
PSU: Sapphire PURE 625W
Also, I've got a tv tuner right next to the video card, could that heat things up?

randomkid

Distinguished

You are right to consider buying a new chassis. If you have bought the XFX 6870 separately from your HP Pavillion, chances are your chassis does not have good airflow to begin with. Do not worry about replacing your motherboard because you do not have to. You can connect case fans to 4PIN MOLEX from your PSU. There are lots of those connectors. Just make sure you buy the fans with MOLEX connectors.

Probably not. But if the case does not have good airflow in the first place, this could make the situation worse.

Xador

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

Thank you so much for your answers! I got another question, the video card has overheated, but has it been ruined?

So, I'm sure it's overheated, since it's a very warm day today, it's sweaty all over Sweden today :p

randomkid

Distinguished

Such video card have overheat protection. It will down clock the moment a certain temperature is reached to avoid overheating. To test your video card under cooler conditions, remove the side cover of your PC & set up an electric fan to blow right into it.

For a permanent remedy, please post a picture of your PC with side cover removed to show the inside. This way we can help further how to improve your case airflow without necessarily buying a new case.