GPU Overheating New MB

dibidant

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016
Hello All,

For several months I had a rather spiffy setup I used for moderate gaming and level design;

Gigabyte GA-a55m-ds2 MB

AMD Athlon II X4 651K

MSI AMD HD 6970 GPU

120 GB Samsung Evo SSD

Vivo "smart" Micro-ATX case

Cooler Master 500 PSU

8 GB Corsair RAM (DDR3)

Let me share with you the saga of this computer, as it will be instrumental in the help I need.

Several years ago (2013 to be exact), I purchased the above motherboard, and the same cpu with a small, cheap GPU. I used that computer until we moved and I parted out everything except the MB and RAM. When we finally got settled, I purchased the above components (excluding the MB), and put together a decent enough PC. I would let it run for hours to download, and game for similar amounts of time (Team Fortress 2 at max settings and Train Fever and Hammer World Editor). It never overheated and had no problems. I used it for several months until my brother bought it from me. When he did, I bought my own new components and built me a PC (more about that later).

I purchased another case which was a bit smaller (also micro-ATX) and proceeded to put all parts into that case. After putting it in the case, I played games for 8 hours to break it in. Then ( because I foolishly cut the copper heat-pipe tops off to make it fit in the case) I replaced the cpu block. When I turned it on again, the GPU just kept overheating. I took it out of its case, set it up on a styrofoam block (where it is now) and set a house fan up next to it. I installed MSI afterburner onto the PC, but it to no avail. So I switched the GPU to the Sapphire version of the 6970, and this happens. Basically, I can get it to run games for up to ten minutes, before the whole shebang shuts off. I have to let it cool off, and then am able to run it for another ten minutes.

I am soon to be peltier cooling my pc, and crossfiring it. It has similar overheating problems, but does not just shut off unless under huge loads. I tore the MSI out of it and used my other Sapphire, and it works a bit better.

My brother paid me for it, and I like gaming with him so I am pretty eager to get this figured out. Any suggestions, questions?

Thanks,
D