Question GPU Overheating On Custom Loop

PingersForDays

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015
Hey guys,

I have built a custom loop, CPU and GPU all on the same loop, I'm running a EK 360 radiator with 3 fans pushing and 3 fans pulling air, the CPU is running at very low temperatures 30/40C where the GPU is hitting 70C and starting to throttle and FPS will start to plummet.

I'm just wondering if the way I've configured the loop is affecting the GPU, or would it be the way I've seated the block, or thermal paste?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've reseated the block 3 times with no success.

Hopefully this image helps https://imageshack.us/i/pmtiLslfj

Last edited:

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I would pull the GPU block and reseat it. I had a similar issue with my 2080 recently, made a world of difference. Loop flow doesn't seem to be an issue since your CPU is maintaining good temps, so issue would seem to indicate config with the GPU block.

Wait....what is your flow order? I'm wondering if you have your GPU inlet and outlet mixed up. Inlet should be pushing coolant INTO the little eyelet piece in the center...is that how you have yours?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
From the pic its:
Pump to left side port gpu.
Right side port gpu to rad
Rad to left side port cpu
Right side port cpu to reservoir

Looks to be a EKWB Vector block, but I'm getting nothing anywhere from EKWB website or pdf to say which port is which.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Interesting enough, I got an email from EK later that day that said 'it doesn't matter which port is used', so I suppose refutes that idea.

Has to be a mount issue; CPU stays cool, GPU temps are in question. I would have a different opinion if both were having issues, but does not seem to be the case.

Although, 70C still shouldn't be throttling, although my 2080 did throttle right at 80C, which re-seating the block fixed (back down to 38C) and got all my FPS's back.

What card is it? 70C shouldn't be throttling, but then again, 70C shouldn't be happening on a loop like that.